Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is 3 am and I have been trying to fall asleep for a while, but my mind is racing because I am 95% sure that my best friend has moved on and doesn't want me around anymore. Ever since last summer I have been slowly loosing my best friend to his new best friend. We all have social anxiety on this forum and you guys know just how hard it is to make new friends. That is why I am so stressed about this. It really scares me that I am going into high school with pretty much zero friends. I'll start telling my story, so grab a cup of coffee, because it might be long, depending on how much I drag this on. Me and my friend have been friends since 4th grade, and I am just going into high school. That doesn't sound like a long friendship, but when you are only 14 it is a significant amount of time. I consider him to be my best friend, and we used to do everything togeather. We used to hang out all the time, I know his extended family for christ's sake. We go to a cottage in Hampton beach new Hampshire every year, for a week with his family. We have had many long personal conversations. I know his mom's boyfriend on a personal level, and for some reason we are drifting. For example at that cottage in hampton he had his other friend come. We did stuff togeather, like take walks, tan, look at girls on the beach, normal 14 year old male stuff. I felt like the third wheel about 90% of the time. Another story that just happened today. I was at my aunt and uncle camp on a lake, and my friend and his friend were at another camp on the same lake with two girls. They knew I was there, but never came to see me. Once I finally came to see them we went on a boat ride. Nobody talked to me the whole time. I just went back to my camp a afterwards and hibernated by myself. Now don't say "we'll at least he invited you to hampton" I'm pretty sure his mom made him... to add on to all this we haven't hung out in months, when we used to about 3 to 6 times per month. I talked to him about this via text message, and I wrote a long message to him asking him to be honest and tell me if he didn't like me. He sent back a message about half as long, that didn't seem very honest saying that I was a good friend. I don't known why he doesn't like me. I don't know if it is because I am not popular, or because I don't play the same sports as him (I don't play any sports at all, because I suck at them all). I would like to now why, but that is besides the point. I understand that he has moved on, to bigger and better things, but how do I learn to accept it? Things will never be the same with us, and it scares me to death that I will end up without somebody who understands me, and is real close to me but whatever. The problem is the fact that I can't seem to accept the fact that my friend doesn't like me. Thanks for reading this wall of text that you probably don't care about, but maybe somebody else was in this situation. Any tips?

·
ΓΤΖΜ
3,732 Posts
He says that you're a good friend and you completely disregard his reply as dishonest. Your social anxiety has convinced you that you're a third wheel and there's nothing that's going to change that. I know how it feels cause I've been there multiple times.

I was the guy who only befriended one person at a time. When my friend would invariably discover other people as well, maybe more talkative or interesting than me, I would immediately become very anxious and shut down which pretty much fulfilled the prophecy of them leaving me behind.

In a sense, it was not them doing the abandoning but me, because of my anxiety.

I cannot offer any other advice than seeing a therapist. Or if you can't do that, at least buy a self-help book or two. You're at such a young age that you might just be able to reverse this negative trend.

PS. Try to change your mindset. You can't have your friend only for yourself, also sometimes things change and best friends become just friends etc. Try not to limit yourself to 1 on 1 relationships.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts