Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....determine that you needed to see someone (doctor, therapist, etc...)?

...find someone to see (internet, word of mouth, yellow pages...)?
BTW, does anyone know any good doctors/therapists in the DC area?

If you did CBT, how long did it take to see improvement?

How many times a week did you have sessions?

What was the time commitment (homework) between sessions?

If I devoted a whole month to this (no school, work, distractions), do you think I can beat it?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
davidhasselhof said:
I was contemplating suicide, and knew I needed help for my own safety.

davidhasselhof said:
My work's insurance administrator's website lists preferred healthcare providers, so I looked up one that was local.

davidhasselhof said:
It was fairly rapid in my case... I was still suicidal for a while, and took everything with a "I got nothing to lose" mentality, so I was able to break down walls rather quickly.

davidhasselhof said:

They were initially every two weeks, homework was typically along the lines of "go out and do something, call someone, visit a relative", etc. As time went on and I got better, the sessions were spaced out, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, currently 8 weeks.

davidhasselhof said:
If I devoted a whole month to this (no school, work, distractions), do you think I can beat it?
You might be better, but in my opinion, work, school, and distractions are an important part of the cure. My problem was I had so little to do with my time, I needed more things going on :)

I think you, yourself, are the biggest part of the cure. You need to take as much time as you need, to take all the steps you need, to get better.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
My mom determined that for me when I was 17.

I think my mom found out about my first therapist on the internet through our insurance. She sucked. My new therapist is better.

I'm doing cbt right now, or at least cognitive therapy. Seems like a slow process with not much improvement so far.

Once a week.

She doesn't give me too much homework, mostly writing in my journal, challenging thoughts, trying to say hi to people(which I haven't been able to do as of yet) She also has me read a couple of self-help books. That doesn't really all take that long, but you do have to be commited.

It depends on you. I thinking devoting all your time to that and not doing anything else would work pretty good. You'd probably see significant improvement in that time, but then again everyone works at their own pace.

Hope that helps. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts