Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
nm jc
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm new here and I'm glad I found this community.

I've found that a lot of you suffer from SA and have extreme nervousness during social situations (ie cant walk/write/talk in the presence of others), which begs the question...How did you make it through grade school and high school where you are forced to speak, perform and interact with peers and authority figures?

I find it strange assuming everyone finished school and still suffer from SA to the extent which it cripples your ability to do anything.

For me school made a big difference. I feel if it wasnt for the forced social interaction, people would mistake me for a mute.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts

I've found that a lot of you suffer from SA and have extreme nervousness during social situations (ie cant walk/write/talk in the presence of others), which begs the question...How did you make it through grade school and high school where you are forced to speak, perform and interact with peers and authority figures?

I find it strange assuming everyone finished school and still suffer from SA to the extent which it cripples your ability to do anything.

For me school made a big difference. I feel if it wasnt for the forced social interaction, people would mistake me for a mute.
The formal interactions with authority figures and informal interactions with students in class didn't bother me. It was just doing stuff outside of school that was the problem. I managed to bumble through decently enough junior and senior year (Halo Sundays, w00t!), but I still was way below average. Of course, I didn't know just how bad until college, when I was essentially "at school" 24/7.

Also, I think being in band was my lifesaver. Spending six hours a day together under the burning sun every summer for four years brings you closer to your fellow band nerds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I never survived High School , came up two years short. Never participated in any sports , plays , or anything that required social interactions. I would never put my hand up to answer anything, I would have to be asked . And then it felt like I was going to pass out when I had to read something to the class. I had good grades , just had the impression at the time that school was not for me. So I quit, got a job , and that was that.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
How did I survive High School?

Doing classwork wasn't really a problem. If the activity is created by the teacher to do classwork with other people then I was actually relieved because it took away the responsibility for me to make social connections. So the social aspects of classrooms were never the worst part for me. Although I didn't do as well as others I managed.

The worst part for me was, recess, lunch ect. If you don't have any friends then you tend to do things alone. And of course you don't wanna be seen alone because if you're seen alone something is obviously the matter with you by other peoples perceptions. I handled recess and lunch mostly by finding excuses to be alone, ie I'd act like I was doing a school project in the library, was doing homework ect.

I eventually transferred to an alternative high school. The environment there was less competitive and less cliquish. Small number of students ect. This helped somewhat. Also since the school day was shorter at this alternative place, the break periods were shorter and fewer. However there still were break periods, they were just more manageable. In these break periods I'd just read a book most of the time, occasionally I'd speak to people, but for the most part I distracted myself with a book.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I actually enjoyed high school (elementary and middle school were what messed me up) and consider those years the best of my life. I was pretty quiet and never went to a party, but I had a good time. I looked up to a lot of the teachers, wasn't bothered by anybody (no one knew me that well), was on friendly terms with a lot of people (even though I wouldn't say I really had friends) and took part in quite a few clubs.
The fact that lunch wasn't restricted to the cafeteria (we could eat anywhere on the first floor) and the whole school ate at the same time was a big plus.

I'm in college now, and I can honestly say I miss high school quite a bit sometimes.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
I actually enjoyed high school (elementary and middle school were what messed me up) and consider those years the best of my life. I was pretty quiet and never went to a party, but I had a good time. I looked up to a lot of the teachers, wasn't bothered by anybody (no one knew me that well), was on friendly terms with a lot of people (even though I wouldn't say I really had friends) and took part in quite a few clubs.
The fact that lunch wasn't restricted to the cafeteria (we could eat anywhere on the first floor) and the whole school ate at the same time was a big plus.

I'm in college now, and I can honestly say I miss high school quite a bit sometimes.
I agree with this. It seems sad, but I really wonder if high school will end up having been the best time of my life.

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts

·
alien monk
8,616 Posts
I was ok because I had a small group of friends and people seemed to accept that I never really talked. The people who bullied other people kinda saw me as below picking on if that makes sense. I kept to myself, got decent grades so the teachers didn't bother me too much. I was very weird.

206 Posts
I try to forget I ever went to high school. I will probably never attend the reuinions because no one will even remember who I am.

I really didn't make any friends. I hung out with my sister the last two years. The first to years I would spend lunch in the bathroom or in homeroom doing work. My teachers learned not to call on me because it was clear to them how difficult it was for me to speak. I did okay as far as work goes but even that was nothing special.

College has been much better because people don't think anything of it if you're doing work alone. Plus I've been making a lot of progress with my SA in the last year. I wish I had figured out that I had this disorder much sooner.

·
Banned
1,593 Posts
I didn't really. Spent most of my time avoiding everyone and everything. Didn't raise my hand, my voice was shaky when I had to read to the class, presentations were horrible (skipped a few). Didn't talk to people in class, first couple of years would sit with my friends at lunch, but then stopped doing that as well. Would just buy food and go to library to an empty room. Eventually just stopped eating altogether, ate only after school. >.> On the weekends stayed home, there were a few times I hung out with one friend, but that was my only social contact outside of school, most weekends (and even weekdays) were spent at home in my room. There was a point where I skipped classes. Sometimes I wonder how i still managed to graduate with everyone else.

And yes, my Ipod was practically my best friend in high school. :lol

·
Registered
603 Posts

I didn't finish high school. I had friends and got along with everyone pretty well, but sitting in some classes was a major problem. It was bizarre, because some classes I was perfectly comfortable in. I never really did identify a pattern. Then again, it didn't take much to turn me into a sweaty bumbling mess back then. Everyone from my teachers to my parents were plugged into what was going on with me from about freshman year on and did their best to adjust my classroom role to something I could perform when I had problems. Still, it got really old. I was 'self-medicating' rather heavily the whole time, so once I started failing drug tests everybody started thinking that was the cause of my issues which led to my expulsion. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I never really had any friends in high school, I was on sports teams and had a few nerdy friends. I skipped often, took easy courses, and ended up barely passing. I managed to get it all turned around in college, high school was when I realized I had SA and had to find ways to overcome it. I mainly felt inadequate, skipped all major events (prom/graduation) and avoided school as much as possible while scraping by and going to football practice because it was the only place I didnt feel like a misfit.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
I didn't finish HS but it wasn't due to anxiety. I didn't even know what anxiety was at the time I left school. I was severely depressed and apathetic. SA developed once I had been out of school for a long time and had lost touch with everyone I knew from there. My bestfriend was my next door neighbor so I didn't need school to see him, we went to different schools anyway(damn catholic schools!). Trying to get back into society after having been away so long...and I'm still trying 8 years later...just not as hard.

If anyone here is having trouble with HS now due to anxiety or low self-esteem, it's imperitive that you remind yourself that once you are done highschool, whoever you were(however you felt you were or however people made you feel you were) is dead.
Highschool really is the end of your life as you know it at the time. You lose touch with those people so fast and everyone goes on with their lives. So keep going and focus on school cause that highschool diploma is of the utmost importance. And I never say utmost so that shows you how serious I am. :)

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
High school was hard for me, because everyone would tell me these were the best years of my life, but I felt so out of place. It was such a gloomy atmosphere, and even with the few friends I had, I don't know...I felt so sad and depressed there. I still beat myself up for feeling that way. I should've just forced a smile or something.
I think the worst time of high school was the last semester when my best friend moved away. My CD player was my constant companion for the most part.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I was lucky enough not to have SA in high school, I was still very quiet. I had the most friends ever in my life back then, I'm surprised I ever made any friends as little as I talked lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was able to interact with people fairly well in a classroom environment. However, it all went downhill when people invited me over to movie nights or parties. I barely talked. It doesn't help when there's always those people around that tend to dominate conversation.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts