Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am "recovered" from sa. i began taking zoloft in 2004 and had immediate positive results...i have tried to get off the meds, but my anxiety returns, so for now i am still taking it.

i always knew i was extremely shy, and in college, started to realize that i wasn't just shy and i wasn't "normal". but it wasn't until after college that i read an article in a magazine (i think self magazine) about a girl with sa and i recognized my symtpoms immediately...after some additional internet research i made an appt with a psychiatrist to get the meds.

so anyway, the reason i ask this question to yall is b/c of my husband's cousin. we have been married only a year, and i have met her twice. even before i met her, my inlaws had described her unusual and weird behavior. she's 18 and very, very shy. to me, it sounds like she has sa.

i'm just wondering, what, if anything i can do to help her. she's going to college next year. i'm not close with her or her parents. i just want to spare her some of the pain i experienced. meds may or may not work for her, but if she really does have sa, i don't think she can get any better unless she's aware that she has it.

so - i'm just curious - how/when did you realize you have sa?

·
Registered
158 Posts
i realized at the beginning of high school. i would hang out with my cousin all the time and he was really popular so there was always groups of people around. one day he said "i think you have social anxiety" and i went and researched it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like you I had always been extremely shy, was always being told "you're so quiet" then one day when I was about 16, I happened to see a commercial on TV for zoloft or one of the other SA meds and they started going through the symptoms. Usually a commercial like that I would just kinda tune out but as soon as I started hearing the symptoms it hit me, I didn't even know there was actually a name or an illness associated with what I had been experiencing all that time. I had just chalked it up to extreme shyness.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I didn't realize I had SA until a few years ago, when I was researching the subject on the internet. Before that, I just thought I was weird and backward.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Maybe talk to her about it and once you get the ball rolling if you really think she has sa, then ask her if you can show her this site or other material about sa.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I didn't realize it until a little over a year ago. I started looking back at the various social situations I was in, and every single one didn't seem normal....I was trying to avoid meeting new people, and I was especially avoiding women (even though I'm heterosexual).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess ultimately she will have to realize it herself, but i will certainly take any opportunity i can to tell her my story...perhaps tell her "i used to be really shy too, then i realized i have sa" just to get the ball rolling....

thanks for all of yall's input!

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I realised I had SA or social phobia when I read other people's experiences on the internet and I looked up symptoms and i realised I used to have them at school or still do.

i used to think i was the only one who got students at school saying "Why are you so quiet? or do you talk." questions til i read on here, and realised i wasn't alone

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
When my demons told me so

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been shy/introverted my entire life. I guess I was in denial for many years, and I always had an excuse (mostly to myself) to avoid social situations. I suppose it was a sort of self-defence mechanism. It wasn't until I quit school that I realized this was a problem and wasn't going away - ever.

Be very careful if you approach this person since this is a very sensative subject. She may not even know she has it, or even what SA is (like I didn't).

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I always knew I was shy. Ever since my shyness got more serious though, I started reading self-help books about how to overcome it. I think I figured out it was SA just by reading a checklist of symptoms. I didn't even have to question the checklist. The symptoms described me perfectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts