Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it's that time again where I need to get off my phobic unemployed butt and back into the world.

my knowledge of making money sucks coming from a poor family.

these are ways I can think of to make money

- start your own business, you have to find a way to bring money in on your own

- look for apprenticeship/internship that train and get you into a company

- go to uni/trade school (I'm unclear how this gets you a job)

- reply to help wanted for a company and work/schmooze up company ladder

- friend/family gives position

any others or ideas? or story of how you got gainfully employed? I've had 2 jobs at retail stores - a grocery store, and hardware store, and a very brief stint at freelance web design. also 1 year of college. from here + SA problems, I am just clueless of what to do next

thanks for any replies

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
- look for apprenticeship/internship that train and get you into a company
That's how I got my job. I was enrolled in a community college and looking for a summer job in my field so I could gain a little experience before I actually went to school for it. Just by luck I happened to find someone who was looking for help so I started working there. No interview or anything, he hired me a few days after I asked him. I learned enough in those first few months I decided to stay instead of leaving for school. I've been there over ten years now and for the most part I've never regretted deciding to cancel my school plans.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
travo said:
- friend/family gives position
thats how most people get in. But for an SA'er, having a lot of connections is rare.

Im going for an electrician apprenticeship. I take the test in November. I took it last year and failed it. If I fail it again this year, then I might just enroll in something automotive like Lonelyguy. Maybe UTI or one of those. All I know is I'm sick of being uemployed for so long. College was the biggest waste of time EVER. Every job I see online is one of the following piece of crap jobs: sales, commission, management trainee. No thx.

·
I am, etc.
1,381 Posts
I work freelance, so I get work from all those ways. I have interned, gone to school, got jobs by word of mouth, and applied for a few in the past. All these methods have ended in work. My only advice is to determine what you like to do, and focus in and work hard at it. People will begin to recognize your hard work.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Unfortunatley, it's usually who you know to get the really good jobs -- with large companies and good benefits.

·
Registered
772 Posts
went to uni got a double degree

applied for jobs, went to interviews, had major anxiety attacks, but knew i had no choice...

by sort of pure luck and my ability to fake it during interviews i've been able to land a few roles.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I work in a career where pay scales very far based almost entirely on skill... and I've worked and studied hard to be amazing at my job :)

My career is software development... it can be a little bit tricky to get into, but if you're passionate about your work and stay at the forefront of emerging technology, you'll do very well.

-Ryan

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
I went to college and earned a BA degree in Human Services/Psychology. I decided what I wanted to do when I did my internships in college. My first internship was working in a shelter workshop with the Developmentally disabled, then in a workshop for the MI, and then a RCF group home for the DD. I then got a job after college working for a private Lutheran organization in a group home with 4 DD adults, then I worked in an alternative Psyche unit for a couple months then it closed up, then I worked at a County mental health agency working in chronic MI group homes/apartment unit. Then I came up here to siberia to be a glorified secretary for the Behavior Psychologist that does the behavioral programming for our DD group homes, and workshop. It pays decent money, so I am not complaining about being a glorified secretary. It's a lot better then making $7 per hour back home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts