Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I posted this on another forum but thought I would also post it here. I tried to see my PCP for anxiety meds but he doesn't do those. I looked at my insurance and got a list of psychiatrists and started calling. Most of them aren't accepting new patients!! How the heck am I supposed to get help if I can't even get into a doctor? What do you suggest I do? My PCP didn't seem to thrilled about giving me a referral either. I'm thinking he may think I'm a drug seeker. But the point is that I need help and I can't get it. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey anxietyridden, welcome to :sas

None of the psychiatrists offices you called would refer you to a local mental health service?

Have you tried looking them up on the internet for your area?

If it was me I might be thinking about getting a new doctor if they wouldn't be willing to refer me to someone when I needed help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply.

My PCP told me to just call around to various doctors and ask if they do anxiety meds. What kind of an answer is that? I did look on the internet and I have a list of all the psychs that are available from my insurance. None of them that I have called so far are accepting new patients. I have one more place left to call and if they tell me I can't get an appt there I will ask them if they know somewhere I could. I never thought it would be this hard to see a psychiatrist! Seriously! I also don't have much extra time to be piddling around calling all of these offices just for them to tell me no. Haha it is so aggravating!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I'll bet it is. I was lucky there were three different places near me that took my insurance back when I first signed up for my anxiety issues.

Did your doctor diagnose you with anxiety?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I went through my insurance this time. Today was my first appointment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts