Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to everyone who goes to therapists etc, did you schedule an appointment with a therapist or did you get referred by a doctor?

I told my mom about SA and she wants to take me to a regular doctor.. a cardiologist, actually. I don't want to feel like a dolt whenever I go in and he's generally like well this isn't really the place.. and my mom is known to make some really.. unwise decisions.
So I don't know if I want to do this or what..

·
Registered
754 Posts
I wrote my mum a letter :)b) and she booked me up with a private psychologist because the nhs would take 25 years to do anything.

If the regular doctor could refer you then it should be alright. But this is the UK and guessing it's different for you. Hmm. Good luck ;) Sure it'll all be fine.

199 Posts
hi :)

that seems strange (to me) that she wants to take you to a cardiologist instead of someone who deals with mental health on a regular basis.

what do you want to do? do you want to go to a counselor or a psychiatrist?

for me, i first got professional treatment when i got so depressed that i decided i couldn't handle it anymore.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I started with a regular doctor (NOT a cardiologist) who prescribed medication with the recommendation that I also work on my anxiety with a therapist. I found a therapist in my insurance plan and then called my insurance carrier to get the first visit pre-approved.

Did you tell your mom your anxiety makes you feel like something is wrong with your heart?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i've never done anything like this, so i'm not really certain where to go.

no, he's a doctor where she goes, i guess she thinks he's a family doctor but i read on their website that he's a cardiologist. i think she's hoping we'll cure it with medication before we have to go to an expensive therapist.

but i told her i wasn't comfortable with going to him, so we're gonna go see an actual family doctor that we've known since i was little. maybe she'll refer me to someone?

199 Posts
usually if you go to your health insurance's website you can enter your policy number and come up with a list of psychiatrists and counselors.

if you have health insurance, you could always suggest that idea to your mother.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I went to my parents' general doc, all he did was give me some samples of Lexapro and tell him to call him... I was too afraid to call him.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I started with a regular doctor (NOT a cardiologist) who prescribed medication with the recommendation that I also work on my anxiety with a therapist. I found a therapist in my insurance plan and then called my insurance carrier to get the first visit pre-approved.

Did you tell your mom your anxiety makes you feel like something is wrong with your heart?
What was your co-pay per visit? I would seek professional help if it didn't cost so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts