Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
We met online lmaoo Which I guess would be ideal for someone whos terrified of interactions irl. We started as friends and just kept getting to know each other, then we met and started a relationship. So hes known about my personal life all before we established anything serious. And when we did have those interactions irl, it was easier bc i knew he knew everything and was still accepting.

All of my past relationships began irl, but as friends too. I think that either of those (meeting online first or starting as friends first) is great for someone whos anxious and cant make those connections irl yet. As friends, i felt there was less pressure to impress them, if that makes sense, and it ended up growing into something more.

theres no rush though, just dont feel pressured to be in a relationship just bc you havent before. Youll find a person you want to invest your everything into. and that timing is always right :)

· Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
Through an online app. I was on the verge of giving up on such apps because of the outcomes when trying to meet up/date. Luckily I won the jackpot just before thinking of deactivating for good.

· Registered
18,273 Posts
When I was young I met them at work quite often, I met my wife through work too. Also when I was travelling - I met one of my early girlfriends at a hostel and then went and lived in Germany for a while with her.

Nowadays I would go down the online route - I've met people that way too but they weren't really gf's.

· Barbells and kittens
4,586 Posts
My wife and I actually talked on the phone for years when we were little kids before we met. This would have been the early to mid 90's. I was 10 or 11 and she was 11 or 12. Her and her best friend were from another town and knew my best friend's cousin or something. Somehow we all started calling each other with 3 way calling and getting all four of us on the phone together after school. We did this for years off and on until the oldest of us turned 16 and could drive. Then we all met in person.

We kept in contact off and on over the years. Then she started working at the bank that I use. We only really said hello for years. Then one day in 2017 I went in on a Friday and she asked if I wanted to go to a brewery with her and a friend that evening. We started hanging out and she admitted she had a crush on me since we were little kids. Started dating soon after and got married last year.

· Registered
18,273 Posts
My wife and I actually talked on the phone for years when we were little kids before we met. This would have been the early to mid 90's. I was 10 or 11 and she was 11 or 12. Her and her best friend were from another town and knew my best friend's cousin or something. Somehow we all started calling each other with 3 way calling and getting all four of us on the phone together after school. We did this for years off and on until the oldest of us turned 16 and could drive. Then we all met in person.

We kept in contact off and on over the years. Then she started working at the bank that I use. We only really said hello for years. Then one day in 2017 I went in on a Friday and she asked if I wanted to go to a brewery with her and a friend that evening. We started hanging out and she admitted she had a crush on me since we were little kids. Started dating soon after and got married last year.
That's a lovely story - I'm very glad you guys met up after all those years and it's worked out well for you.

· SAS Member
2,667 Posts

That is so cute!

· Registered
2,582 Posts
I've never had a girlfriend, so I'm trying to figure out how to find one.
Since I don't know many people.
Bumble. Mind you, i've been using Bumble for a couple of years now. It was definitely not automatic. we messaged Via bumble for roughly a week or so, then she abruptly asked me to meet her at a coffee shop when she was attending an event in my city. so I agreed. We followed up with real phone numbers. we've gradually started seeing each other on real dates. it's nice.

· Registered
90 Posts
One year in college I took a semester off. I was a bit disappointed by doing it, and my parents were even more disappointed, but I was stressed to the max and needed the break. I ended up working at a Staples store during the time off and that is when I met him. I worked as a cashier and he worked as a tech associate.

· Registered
19 Posts
Typical corny tech story. We were working on a side project with a common friend. He's an engineer, and I'm a designer, so we needed to collaborate a lot. And one day we looked in the eyes of each other and realized we were more than friends, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts