Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
i dont think the daydreaming is harmful...it may sometimes be therapeutic. Rumination on the other hand, can cripple a person. I have this problem where I ruminate a social exchange that i felt wasn't satisfactory over and over and over and over and over again. Its exhausting and it completely mutilates my self esteem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
great article I agree with it 100%, I know I day dream quite a lot, and what I can see it doing is distorting reality or my own perception of it. I used to try to restrain myself because I thought it was weird to be daydreaming to the extent I did. Over the years I've really just let my mind run wild, but I definitely see the connection between daydreaming and it fueling social anxiety.

I was actually just daydreaming a little bit ago, and now I find myself more socially anxious than I was before hand. Part of the problem is it makes your real life look less and less appealing than it actually is compared to your fantasy.

And as it being any form of escapism, when you do it for long periods of time, It will leave you with nothing to show for your time spent, Just that you pretty much wasted all that time. We all need to make progress in one way or another to raise our self-esteem and feel that our lives are worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I tried to turn off my daydreaming all day today. It seemed to help me a lot (I could talk to people in a more relaxed way) and I realised just how frequently I daydream. It's very constant.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.