Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

How dangerous is ritalin?

• It's definitely more dangerous than the ordinary ADs.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • It is VERY dangerous. Let's just be honest.

• It's not really that dangerous.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • It's only dangerous if you get the dangerous side effects.

• It's totally safe.

• It's probably safer unless it's dangerous.

• No risk, no fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know.

• I don't care.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • What's ritalin?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
ULTRA
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judged on its own and compared to other stuff like ADs, APs and so on?

I skimmed over a list of side effects on a website and I'm sure it wasn't even a very detailed one and yet the side effects were insane. It had stuff like: heart attack, sudden death, decay of muscle cells (the stuff you also get from statin drugs), clogging of blood vessels and much much more.
I've never seen a drug with more scary side effects. I guess if you want something even more scary you'd have to go on immune suppressants.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've never seen a drug with more scary side effects.
Read the warnings on MAOIs and you'll see a much more terrifying list.

Ritalin warnings are substantially the same as amphetamine warnings and still I just took an amphetamine.

Sure, it's more dangerous than SSRIs. While few have complained louder or more frequently about SSRIs than myself, my complaints have never centered on the issue of danger. They're safe; the problem is they don't help + sexual side effects.

·
ULTRA
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes but amphetamines are also damn scary.

I mean how do you know that you won't get a heart attack all of a sudden because of the amphetamin? Are you watching your blood pressure and pulse? But what if your pulse and blood pressure can be normal and the stimulant is still doing damage and raising the heart attack risk? In this case you'd have no way to tell if taking this is dangerous or not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think the more serious side effects are going to occur in unhealthy people. Say somebody who sits on their couch all day watching reruns of ophra while they snack on sticks of butter and wash it down with beef fat and eggnog.

Or people who start taking larger doses against the advice of their doc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
But the side effects list doesn't mention that the more serious side effects only occur when you take more than recommended. If this was the case wouldn't they mention it and this way avoid unnecessary concern?
Nope, it's just like they hide certain studies that shed a negative light (truth) on their anti depressants, which by the way have also killed people by destroying their cardiovascular systems, inducing severe hypomania, high blood pressure, brain seizures and who knows what else.

I would personally feel a bit safer taking Ritalin then anti depressants.

·
Registered
106 Posts
But no antidepressant which I know has side effects like heart attack or sudden death. At least none which I have taken. If I had to choose between lexapro and ritalin I'd much rather take lexapro. :blank
I agree, I was on Lexapro for just over two years and it helped my depression quite well, never did much for my sa. I would have liked to have mixed the two to see if they would have helped my sa.

The key here is to keep your cardio system in good health. ;)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Why don't you just try ritalin and find out if it works for you? Honestly I'd say the only dangerous thing that would be more likely than anything to happen is an anxiety induced side effect because of your worry about taking it in the first place.

Look, this medication is the most widely prescribed stimulant. Millions of people are taking this for ADHD, narcolepsy and off label purposes. At one point it was the most widely prescribed off label stimulant. Might even still be.

Point is that doctors are well aware of the dangers of medications and they wouldn't prescribe something if they didn't think that the benefits outweighed the risks. That's also why we go to see the doctor. To check up regularly about what side effects and problems you might end up getting from taking a drug. And if the 0.001% chance happens where you end up getting a serious medical emergency side effect or something first dose, there is the hospital.

But don't go trying to use these slim chance statistics as an argument as to why your still scared to take the ritalin. Sometimes we just have to face our anxieties head on and deal with them. That's the only way you will overcome your fear of taking this medication.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Anti-depressants could in theory change the voltage in the body by alterication of neurotranmitters. How do you think it calms you down. Maybe they can protentially damage these systems and cause heart dieases. My heart screwed.

When i was 16 my heart was so healthy. After antidepressants not so much. I need them to function enough saids. They at least take care of the chest pain and the withdrawal sydrome you can experience. If you quit taking them.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Didnt you post this thread topic 3 times befor Thundercats ;@

Your gonna die anyways oneday. :)

Take the ritalin now!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
But from what I heard you can actually even get a heart attack without having any blockages. Now that's scary! :eek:

Why don't you simply try lexa + ritalin? Was your doc against it?
I asked him for some Adderall. He said, well then, why don't you just take some extasy, shoot heroin, smoke crack, or snort some cocaine? So I took that as a no and decided the conversation was over.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Why do you guys take ritalin for depression? Does it actually help?

I'm prescribed both ritalin and concerta but I don't take it as much as my psych wants me to because the side-effects does not make it worth it.

I'm also taking lexapro and Wellbutrin at the moment so I guess that helps in managing my ADD.

·
ULTRA
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ peril

Which side effects do you get? Now I'm worried again. This proves that ritalin isn't this wonderfully safe drug which everyone claims it is. I knew it! :mum

@ Depresso

Your doc sounds like a jerk.

@ Ben

But usually doctors do not check you from head to toe before prescribing ritalin. And even if you got all the stuff like ecg and all that then this still wouldn't mean that nothing can happen when you take it. I also don't have skipped beats all the time.
My first doc who wanted me to try ritalin didn't even do an eeg or ecg!
That's not responsible behavior.

@ GotAnxiety

What's wrong with your heart now? And is this due to antidepressants?

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
My diastolic kinda screwed it coulda been from being inactive due to brain malfunction from antidepressant withdrawal.

It been getting stronger and better since ive been working. As well im back on an ssri.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If doctors were to do an EKG or a bunch of tests before prescribing something imagine how much extra debt we would be in.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts