Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
title says all. and hopefully I may shatter the false notions revolving within me regarding it.
When I was in college it was free to see a counselor so I was able to talk to someone there. While no professional is going to be able to cure you, he may be able to equip you with some tools to be able to better handle anxiety. My counselor helped me identify many negative thought patterns that I was experiencing, and once I could recognize these irrational thoughts when they occurred, it was MUCH easier to battle against then. Recovery is all about self-awareness, everything from identifying why you are the way you are to noticing those negative thought patterns and actively working to squelch them. All of this takes time and I do believe certain people can help a lot but I wouldn't necessarily say it is a requirement.

526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was in college it was free to see a counselor so I was able to talk to someone there. While no professional is going to be able to cure you, he may be able to equip you with some tools to be able to better handle anxiety. My counselor helped me identify many negative thought patterns that I was experiencing, and once I could recognize these irrational thoughts when they occurred, it was MUCH easier to battle against then. Recovery is all about self-awareness, everything from identifying why you are the way you are to noticing those negative thought patterns and actively working to squelch them. All of this takes time and I do believe certain people can help a lot but I wouldn't necessarily say it is a requirement.
thank you very much for the insight bro!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.