Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got near 4.0 gpas in both high school and college. I'm unemployed after having two really bad experiences with jobs after graduating. I don't know if it was me or if the working world is just awful. The first job had me put with someone who seemed to hate me from the start. It was her job to train me and was rude whenever I asked questions. There was zero guidance and I felt incredibly overwhelmed. I realized that I couldn't work with this person so I left. It didn't help that my parents were getting into fights and almost separating at that time.

The next job involved me touching patients, which wasn't in the job description and made me uncomfortable. My boss was a nice guy but we decided to part ways because he wanted someone who could be more social with the patients. Most of the job involved touching or talking which like I said, wasn't in the job description. I thought I was just preparing/cleaning equipment (having a background role) but I guess not.

I had two interviews after these jobs and unfortunately didn't land either of them. Idk what to do. I think about going back to school because I do well there but I have to face the working world at some point and I dont want to get into debt again. I was thinking of trying to volunteer. Maybe I can get work experience without the obligation and pressure of a real job.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To put it simply, school allows you to be a bit more passive and blend in while work is way more hands on and the focus is on you. I assume you're in nursing or something which could lead to complications if you're not fully prepared for what the job intels.

It sucks that you got stuck with a rude person who was supposed to train you though. That sounds like the worst.

Maybe you should have tried to stick that one out until her "training" was over though? Sometimes you have to push past a******s when you need the job.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think volunteering might help you because you'll be able to practice your skills without as much obligation and pressure, plus learn to deal with stupid people without as much obligation and pressure, lol.

·
Gone, Never Coming Back
4,863 Posts
School doesn't adequately prepare you for the working world unfortunately. The grades you get don't matter much if you can't apply that to a job. Like they say, it's not about what you know, but who you know.

I know the feeling because I'm going through the same thing right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know what you mean, when I left school here it was such a shock to begin working. School never prepares you for it at all, there was no work experience before leaving and my social skills weren't great. I thought school was all about preparing educated adults for the real world?

If that was the case then through work experience intertwined with classes in the final year of school, working relationships could be assessed for individuals with the possibility of undiagnosed Social Anxiety or social difficulties being recognised in those individuals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts