Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The people who've been in my classes are too preppy for me.
The process to join a club seems, not so smooth

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have no idea. I've tried to take peoples advice to go to clubs and groups but it's always the same. I just sit there and watch how easy it is for everyone else to talk to each other. So not only do I not find any friends there, I feel worse than before because the whole experience is just another example of how different I am from everybody else.

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
Too preppy? Are you in some hoity-toity private school? I think you're just writing people off and not giving them a chance. If you're in college, go to where students lounge and hang out between classes. People there are usually pretty laid-back and bored.

Also, it's never too late in a semester to connect with someone you've seen but never connected with before. You'd be surprised how much people can open up to you if you take the first step.

·
In the middle of nowhere
1,079 Posts
Find people who live near you on SAS? :D I've managed to find two though I'm yet to meet them in real life.

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
No, preppy as in wear preppy clothes. That's not my style.
You're suggesting I walk up to a stranger who is sitting and ask to sit with them? Those people are studying, otherwise they're in a group. Plus who does that?

Also, changing your seat in the middle of the semester is pretty damn weird.
You don't ask to sit with them. You just do. When I went to college, we didn't have assigned seating(it's like playing by adult rules!). I do that, as do quite a few people. It's really the only way you're ever gonna get the chance to know any of them.

Unless of course, your plan is to shout conversation across the room with them. The people between the two of you may find it rude though, as well as the instructor.

I say this because I've done it and it worked. You're expecting everyone else to do all the work for you. To go out of their way and get close to you and converse when you refuse to extend the same courtesy to them. Would you go out of your way to try to start a conversation with someone who seems to want to avoid you?

But by all means, follow your same exact routine. Just don't act surprised when the results are the same.

I try not to judge people by their clothes. Some of the nicest people I know dress well. You're never going to know much about them just by paying attention to what they're wearing. It's quite shallow to dismiss people for what they wear, especially when they're trying to present themselves well.

·
ΓΤΖΜ
3,732 Posts
No, preppy as in wear preppy clothes. That's not my style.
You're suggesting I walk up to a stranger who is sitting and ask to sit with them? Those people are studying, otherwise they're in a group. Plus who does that?

Also, changing your seat in the middle of the semester is pretty damn weird.
Then the only alternative is to go to the end of the semester like this.

1. I think the excuse about preppy clothes is just that, an excuse that your anxious self is making. You know better than that.

2. You could probably go sit next to someone, say, in the front rows and no one would think anything about it. College people are the most open people you're ever going to meet in your life. After that, it's an uphill battle.

You can just say, "excuse me is this seat taken?". Then you just sit and you pay attention to the lecture. You don't need to say anything to them. But if you have something funny you can just tell that and they'll reply to you. Or if you have questions about something, that works too. This is the road to getting to know people, no magic bullet.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
The people who've been in my classes are too preppy for me.
Keep in mind that when you see people making friends quickly in class, a majority of the time it's not people forming a real friendship but really it's people who are socially capable enough to be friendly with others on a daily basis, the evidence of that is the fact that when the semester is over the friendship is also over. In fact the friendship is more than likely only on when class is on, because if I run into a friend from class out in public, it's just awkward and interacting like we're friends usually just feels forced.

Even as someone who hasn't had to face the unfortunate prospect of doing without them it's still clear that forming genuine friendships is hard as hell, for anyone, SA or not. People that don't have SA still have to face the odds of finding someone that is truly compatible with them, and statistically that's just going to be rare for everyone. Though people that are naturally outgoing and personable definitely have the upper hand since their personality is conducing to meeting larger numbers of people which means more of a chance of finding people that are truly compatible.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I meant to simply join the club.
Yea that's what I meant, like a student government or film club kind of group.

That's worse than being in a regulaur class because you HAVE to go to class but with a club it's like I'm going out of my way to sit in a room and not talk to people. I know I can't expect to just show up and have everyone else start talking to me, but after ten or twenty times it starts to make me even more depressed than just being alone because it highlights how inept I am compared to other people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts