Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well let me put it simply for a long time now I would go through life, every day putting too much concern into things, putting myself down, exaggerating about things, worrying about everybody and everything, seeing worst case scenario, always thinking negatively and really driving myself mad. How I got to be this way ? I'll never know however what I do know is that....as much as I don't want this to happen to me I can't seem to rid myself of these internal negative thoughts....would you agree If I said that thoughts are extremely powerful ?
I think that all this "negativism" in a life can really drive one mad and possibly drive one over the edge...I know because, not long ago I was so close to "ending it all"...I am currently seeing a psychologist and while I find that seeking outside help is beneficial, what I need in order for me to change my life around is action required on my behalf...but I just don't know where to start. I don't want to continue living this way, it's enough to tear a man apart...my psyche cannot take much more of it...constantly worrying and constantly perceiving negative things is completely unhealthy and just plain wrong...I don't want to end my life so soon, despite some bad experiences in the past, I would rather try and get through this life and see everything that I could live for....If I continue living this way I don't know how much longer I will last....

as it stands now I wandering aimlessly through life with nothing but bad thoughts and feelings....

I am so close to hitting rock bottom.... : (

·
Registered
64 Posts
i dig u, thoughts are very powerful cos they lead to beliefs and beliefs are saturated with emotion and when a man acts on these beliefs they become the truth. the way we see the world creates the world we see

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I know how you feel. It's frustrating because the amount of times people can tell you to be positive changes absolutely nothing because it doesn't feel like it's conscious. Like you said "as much as I don't want this to happen to me I can't seem to rid myself of these internal negative thoughts". You're so used to thinking this way it's become your instinctive feeling towards anything. It'll take time to reprogramme that but you're working on it. I find it easier, sometimes, to try to think completely in the moment and focusing on what exactly you're doing at that time so you stop yourself worrying about the last thing and worrying about the next thing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't know about getting rid of them. What I'm trying to do is develope a reflex that jumps in and stops thems as soon as they start. If I keep doing it enough times eventually it will become automatic and my thoughts will just self-censor themselves. Well, that's what I'm hoping at least.

Explaining in terms of metaphor: every time you find yourself thinking about something negative just imagine yourself as a judge/chairperson in your own head, slamming the gavel down to shut up someone who has spoke out of turn. After all, you are supposed to be the on in charge of your own thoughts, so you should excercise some authority over them. Would it be acceptable if a chairman let debaters throw insults at him get away with it? Obviously not, so why is it acceptable for your thoughts to throw insults and you get away with it? You're the one in charge, so act like it.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I don't know about getting rid of them. What I'm trying to do is develope a reflex that jumps in and stops thems as soon as they start. If I keep doing it enough times eventually it will become automatic and my thoughts will just self-censor themselves. Well, that's what I'm hoping at least.

Explaining in terms of metaphor: every time you find yourself thinking about something negative just imagine yourself as a judge/chairperson in your own head, slamming the gavel down to shut up someone who has spoke out of turn. After all, you are supposed to be the on in charge of your own thoughts, so you should excercise some authority over them. Would it be acceptable if a chairman let debaters throw insults at him get away with it? Obviously not, so why is it acceptable for your thoughts to throw insults and you get away with it? You're the one in charge, so act like it.
Everything that the original poster said applies to me. This is a very serious problem that I am also experiencing right now and this so called positive thinking is very hard to do when you are already used to thinking negative thoughts and and feeling negative feelings for a long amount of time. I know how hard it is to think positive when you are severely depressed. Whenever I try to think positive, I feel like I am only fooling my self since when I look up into reality, everything around me is just f****ed up enough for me to feel completely depressed.

Well Im not saying you must not lose hope in thinking positive and eliminating negative thoughts from your head but sometimes its very hard to fool yourself into thinking that everything will get better or everything will be alright when in reality it will never be...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I gave up on the 'thinking positive' thing. In my opinion that just makes it worse, because in order to change the negative thoughts to 'positive' ones you need to dwell on the negative thoughts even more. It's better just to put them out of mind and think of something different entirely, prefferably not related to yourself at all.

Think of it this way; do you think confident people constant judge themselves, weighing up their successes and failures? Of course not. Confident people don't judge themselves at all, that's why they are confident. If you are confident you do not feel any need to judge yourself. So, if you want to be confident your best bet is to just steer clear of judging yourself at all. I mean, just put all that self anaysis stuff out of mind.

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
Ok, well let me put it simply for a long time now I would go through life, every day putting too much concern into things, putting myself down, exaggerating about things, worrying about everybody and everything, seeing worst case scenario, always thinking negatively and really driving myself mad. How I got to be this way ? I'll never know however what I do know is that....as much as I don't want this to happen to me I can't seem to rid myself of these internal negative thoughts....would you agree If I said that thoughts are extremely powerful ?
I think that all this "negativism" in a life can really drive one mad and possibly drive one over the edge...I know because, not long ago I was so close to "ending it all"...I am currently seeing a psychologist and while I find that seeking outside help is beneficial, what I need in order for me to change my life around is action required on my behalf...but I just don't know where to start. I don't want to continue living this way, it's enough to tear a man apart...my psyche cannot take much more of it...constantly worrying and constantly perceiving negative things is completely unhealthy and just plain wrong...I don't want to end my life so soon, despite some bad experiences in the past, I would rather try and get through this life and see everything that I could live for....If I continue living this way I don't know how much longer I will last....

as it stands now I wandering aimlessly through life with nothing but bad thoughts and feelings....

I am so close to hitting rock bottom.... : (
I know exactly how you feel. I think the answer is to try to pay attention to, or create, new experiences where you have positive feelings about yourself and your abilities, and others. And then try to give it as much weight as you do with something negative, and try to remember it. (i have a bad habit of "forgetting" good things myself.)

I have, at several points in my life, also wanted to end it all also. But I noticed a pattern. There will be a day where i feel kind of good and I'll remember that just yesterday I felt like I had nothing to live for...and then I say to myself "well its a good thing I didn't kill myself yesterday." The point is, you would regret it if you did it. Give it a little time and you will feel a bit better.

Also i like what Fuzzylogic said about the imagery of a judge slamming down the gavel on your negative thoughts. Tell them "You're out of order!!" "Bailiff, remove those words from the courtroom!"

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
i dig u, thoughts are very powerful cos they lead to beliefs and beliefs are saturated with emotion and when a man acts on these beliefs they become the truth. the way we see the world creates the world we see
or woman! lol

sorry i can relate to this post (and i'm not a man :lol)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wish I knew. It gets so bad for me that I have arguments with myself. When I start trashing myself I will tell myself to shut up LOL! I wish I could stop doing that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts