Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 3rd year of college and I have a 3.1 GPA, one big reason is because i take all my easy A classes at CC over the summer, so they dont end up factoring into my gpa. But I need to bring up my gpa if I want to get into grad school. I am pretty much a B student with the occasional A and C. Getting to many C's and not enough A's. This year im studying alot harder than I have ever done before, but still barely getting average test grades, sometimes lower. I have been in the library more this semester than all other semesters combined. I still probably spend to much time on the computer and i am trying to cut back and study more, but I don't know what to do.

I really am now starting to believe im just not as smart as most people, they drink have fun but do well on tests, I dont and do crappy. Im hoping im just not trying hard enough.

So how many hours a week do you study and any tips for good grades?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I thought if you had at least a 3.0 your doing good, really, sometimes in a hard class its all you can do to get a B. If a good GPA means having mostly A's I'm ****ed. Got a mix of A's and B's so far for everything.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is my 3rd year of college and I have a 3.1 GPA, one big reason is because i take all my easy A classes at CC over the summer, so they dont end up factoring into my gpa. But I need to bring up my gpa if I want to get into grad school. I am pretty much a B student with the occasional A and C. Getting to many C's and not enough A's. This year im studying alot harder than I have ever done before, but still barely getting average test grades, sometimes lower. I have been in the library more this semester than all other semesters combined. I still probably spend to much time on the computer and i am trying to cut back and study more, but I don't know what to do.

I really am now starting to believe im just not as smart as most people, they drink have fun but do well on tests, I dont and do crappy. Im hoping im just not trying hard enough.

So how many hours a week do you study and any tips for good grades?
You mean those easy A classes DO factor into your GPA, right?

Anyway, I can't really tell you how many hours per week I study, but I know that there are some days where I study more than others. Just today I spent over three hours studying for an in-class assessment and a test tomorrow, but I am seeing good results.

One studying tip I can give you is to repeat info in your head (or out) OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again. It will annoy you to the point where you feel like jumping out of your seat and screaming, "ENOUGH ALREADY! I GET IT!" Also, I found that writing and creating practice exercises have been extremely helpful.

Outlines and diagrams are good if you are a visual learner, and reviewing things frequently in between classes, when you get up, and before you go to bed can help reiterate information that you may have forgotten. Also, don't forget to take breaks in between. There is such a thing as OVER studying, which can be extremely detrimental to your health as well as your grades. That could explain why those who go out and have fun and frequent breaks do better than you; they aren't overexerting themselves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm planning to buy textbooks that are needed before I start the actual semester, and just go over everything without feeling pressured for time. and I've always wondered about this too: how do people go drinking/partying so many nights and still pull off decent marks?

·
Registered
137 Posts
/sigh.. the story of my life. i'm in the exact same situation. third year, GPA is about the same, thinking about grad school... i've been studying this semester in the library quite a bit too, definitely more than the previous years. i just got my midterm grades back, and i was disappointed... lots of C's. i don't mind C's but not in excess, there has to be some balance with the A's & B's, but you probably already know that. my goal this semester was to get off to a good start and maintain that instead of having to surge towards the end to bring my grades up. & while i don't think i'm failing any classes so far, i don't think that i'm doing incredibly well in any either. idk if my classes are harder or what it is. sometimes i think my brain is programed to do just enough work to get by/pass the class and no more, regardless of the difficulty.

as far as studying tips, hmmm, i find that i retain more information if i spread out my studying & study bits throughout the weeks. also i have ahabit of wanting to memorize everything, instead of really learning & understanding it, i'm not sure what your major is but that is especially important for us science majors.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It really sucks when you study and study and study and STUDY, and still don't get the grades you want. I feel your pain. Although it can be difficult to keep up, what helps me is to read the textbook material (and highlight or take notes) BEFORE the lecture. That way, you already have an idea of what the teacher is talking about, leaving you free to ask questions and gain a better understanding of the material, rather than trying to furiously scribble down every word out of his her mouth. I will usually take notes from the textbook, and if the teacher mentions something that I missed or didn't understand, I will add clarification to my notes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You mean those easy A classes DO factor into your GPA, right?
I know they don't count in my school gpa, they just count as credit. Im not sure what they do for grad school but I don't think they look at it either.

So now im in a rut, trying hard and doing bad.

Just did bad on my second calc test, last time I was lucky enought to get the average, a 50, this time im not so sure il be so lucky since the people who did bad las time probably dropped by now, plus, i did not study nearly as much as last time.

Right now there is 3 classes I could end up with a C in and only 1 possible A,

Time management is probably my prob, so any tips on time management?

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
Stay away from the internet.

206 Posts
^ Good advice, haha.

Dude I know how you feel. I was a slacker the first two years of college. I got B's and C's, with the occaisonal A. I even got two D's... one in Political Science (the professor was a disgusting creep) and one in Sociology because the professor was an idiot. If those two professors werent stupid I probably would have only gotten a C+ at the most because I was a total slacker.

Two years ago something in me clicked and I realized that I was never going to get far with those type of grades. From then until now, I have literally not recieved anything but A's. My GPA went from something like a 2.6 to a 3.3. If I get all A's this last semester I will have a 3.4. It's not fantastic, but coupled with good letters of recommendation and decent GRE scores, I have a fair shot at getting into grad school.

All I do is complete all of my work to the best of my ability. If the best of your ability isn't A work, I wouldn't sweat it. There is nothing wrong with B's. I still procrastinate to the max, but I will stay up all night to complete my work if needed. When before I sometimes would turn in work late or do it half-*ssed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts