Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silence Is Golden
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I be more positive, relaxed, and optimistic?

You see I'm negative at times. It's okay to be negative, especially in this exploited globalised corporate unfettered capitalist world. My anger, which is a part of my negativity, keeps me able to resist what is bad, and it is a reflection of my creative energies.

But there comes a time where I just need to relax. I don't want to be completely positive. I need to be able to lighten up at times.

Also, irrevelent to my thread, here's are reasons on why positive pyschology is bad.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20090726_happiness_consultants_wont_stop_a_depression/

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Try to find one good aspect of every bad situation.
Oh! I made a game out of this when I was younger. It forces one to think creatively. :D

"Your name is Gergatilde Porkheimer!"

"Yeah, well, at least it isn't Crapfoot Turdface!" :lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
There's the fast way, prescription meds. I haven't taken them before. Are they worth it? I hear some of them may cause ED or lack of sex drive in men?

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I was kind of reminded of Covey's circle of influence vs circle of concern distinction, fwiw. From a blog Google picked out:

The circles represent the two areas where you can focus your time and energy. The vast majority of people focus too much time and energy outside of their Circle of Influence, in their Circle of Concern. Such people typically worry about things they cannot control, such as the weather next weekend or war in the Middle East. Preoccupying yourself with issues like that is a huge waste of time and energy.

Covey notes that highly effective people think and act primarily within their Circle of Influence. They forget about the things over which they have no control, preferring to focus their time and energy on issues where they can actually make a difference. By doing this, they gradually expand their Circle of Influence as they earn more power and respect.

Where do you spend most of your time and energy?
I definitely think it's important to appreciate how much this world isn't ours. This is just the time and country and culture I was born into. It's like a ship I just have to live on, and don't control, even though I like it and I'm interested in it and want for its flourishing. Since I'm mostly just a passenger, I'll try to help out and be a positive force. Like Gandhi says, I always just think it's my responsibility to be the change I want to see. If I want a world where people are more civil and happy to engage each other respectfully, then it's inconsistent for me to have anger for politicians or people who think very differently and think of them as though they are enemies or that our ends were opposed. So I make it a point to think of people as ultimately wanting to do good, and there's something to like in everyone. I don't have to fix anything. It is enough seeing to myself. The world will simply unfold. Like a roller coaster, you just kind of have to wait and see what happens! Do what you can and just try to be helpful. :) I like to think to myself, "my purpose is to serve".

·
Awesome.
884 Posts
this exploited globalised corporate unfettered capitalist world.
You stop focusing on all that, and you start focusing on your world.

Maybe it sounds callous or pessimistic, but there's no point trying to change things you can't change. There's no point worrying about things you can't do anything about. And there's obviously no way you can change all the problems of the world. Now, focusing on how you can change your immediate world for the better, or simply focusing on the good things in your world.. that you can do.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
You stop focusing on all that, and you start focusing on your world.

Maybe it sounds callous or pessimistic, but there's no point trying to change things you can't change. There's no point worrying about things you can't do anything about. And there's obviously no way you can change all the problems of the world. Now, focusing on how you can change your immediate world for the better, or simply focusing on the good things in your world.. that you can do.
+1, and something I really need to learn how to do better myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts