Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first day I was totally comfortable with this girl, being there with her and for her as a friend when we were hanging out.

Before it was quite a mess, I was really in love with her, wanting to date her, and she initally liked me, but then started to date someone else, and stopped liking me(see my other post) known each other since december; most of the interest was on my side, but I'm getting over her, and still want to be her friend, and she wants to be my friend and I"m totally fine with that, and I'm not trying to date her anymore, I sincerely want her as a friend.

problem is, we don't know what to base our friendship on it seems. She sees me as real nerdy, immature, inexperienced, and unable to support her with her problems with relationships, and other things she's going through, cause I've never dated anyone, and had less life experience. But I know while thats kind of true, its not quite; I am a full 3 years older than her(i'm 21, she's 18 still in highschool), and I feel she is the one who is immature in many ways, so I feel there should be a mutual understanding and place where we can sit on the same level and be true friends.

I feel our friendship slipping away. We had a small fight today because I was mad cause all she needs me for is to help her do her math homework. I was mad cause it seems thats all I am to her. She said as much, and was mad at me saying, "I can't feel guilty, YOU yourself choose to drive here and help me with my math homework, its YOUR choice, I can't feel guilty for using you like this!"

however we always do other things too, like go to movies, to malls, or just hangout and talk, typically we spend way less than half our time together doing math, so it seems there's more there, especially since she did have serious feelings for me for a month, even if not anymore. So today I told her, "I want to be your friend, I always want to be there for you, whenever you need someome to talk to, not just for your math homework." and she smiled and told me "your my best friend."

how can I build this friendship when she really is a popular girl, with a lot going on in life, while I'm one with sa with just sa inexperience, but I know I have something to offer her, and we do get along and have a ton of chemistry together(if not real feelings anymore),and if not a lot of compatibility at times.

what can I do to show her I care, and that I take this friendship seriously? its like we're both holding on to somethings that slipping away, and I don't think it has to end. I feel there's something I can do to hold it together, I'm just not sure what!

thanks. :)

·
Banned
791 Posts
I'd say drop helping her with her math. I'm sure there are others to do that. She sounds like she does consider you a friend. I would abandon hopes of a relationship beyond friendship though, but continue hanging out with her , you might meet other friends or possibly girls to date through her. She is too immature and unfocused to provide you with what you need at this point. I would also say continue to explore talking to and meeting up with other girls who might have dating potential who are closer to your age ( 20-22) who have more of an idea of who they are and what they want out of life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts