Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 16 yo male, that is in grade 11. My teacher for business calls on me al least twice every class. I never raise my hand up. I find the class slightly challenging. I do not know the answer to the questions she gives us. It sometimes takes me a slight while longer to understand it. I feel humiliated when she asks me the question and then shes like: oh look, these students know the answer, why don't you? I truly hate taking in class, and I don't know the answers to her question. Is there any techniques of having the teacher not call on you in class? Please help, Thank You

·
Life has new meaning.
193 Posts
im assuming she challenges you because she knows that you find it a bit challenging, to encourage you to learn whatever it is. im guessing the only way to make her stop is to answer correctly.

i dont know, i disliked being called on too since i didnt know the answers to their annoying questions

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I don't want to get called on, I avoid eye contact and pretend I'm writing notes down or something. It usually works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im assuming she challenges you because she knows that you find it a bit challenging, to encourage you to learn whatever it is. im guessing the only way to make her stop is to answer correctly.

i dont know, i disliked being called on too since i didnt know the answers to their annoying questions
True, but she calls on everyone, but it feels like its only me. :blank

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
also keep in mind that we tend to assume everyone else understands the topic better than we do and we are the only ones having a tough time

the reality is is that the small minority of the class are like that (theres always a few whiz kids lol). If the whole class was like that, they'd all be getting A's on all the tests which i doubt it happening.

going by your description it seems like you have a healthy level of challenge in the class

on topic: I usually looked busy writing notes that they didnt call on me. If you look like youre spacing out or staring right at them youre probably more likely to get called on

·
Registered
13 Posts
That sounds horrible. Your teacher shouldn't say things like that to you. Maybe you could try talking to her after class for help. If she sees that you're trying, she may give you a break during class. Easier said than done, I know. But that's all I can really think of. Good luck!

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is study harder for this class. You could try telling her about your SA but she may not believe you.

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
I used to have this problem in a couple classes. That teacher sounds like a jerk. I guess I understand his/her intention, but in the end it's just a bit degrading to call on students who obviously don't know the answers. My best bet is to just start studying up on business. Get a couple answers right next time she calls on you, then arrange a little talk and tell her that you don't appreciate being called on so much because of anxiety. Luckily I've gotten away with rarely being called on by always doing my work quietly (never talking to classmates) and keeping my head down and eyes averted from the teacher. Always have a pencil in hand and be writing when you expect the teacher to ask a question. I feel like teachers are less likely to call on you if you're already doing something, like taking notes (or in my case, drawing but pretending to take notes).

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
wow, sucks for you. I'm glad I never had a teacher like that.

·
drowning
936 Posts
nothing you can do to stop her from calling on you. just be more prepared for the questions and start raising your hand for answers you do know; that way it'll be on your terms &maybe she'll leave you alone when you participate more.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Like others suggest, study harder, and participate willingly or voluntarily. If you don't know the answer, you can say "I don't know." Nothing to be ashamed of in not knowing, and you feel like you SHOULD know the answer, well, why don't you exactly? It either is or isn't your business to know.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just tell her that the reason you don't know the answers like "all the other students" is because you honestly just need more time to get the stuff sometimes.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
Like others have said, I used to pretend that I'm busy taking notes. They seemed less inclined to call on me because I looked busy taking down some important discussion points. If I sat there and just kinda stared at them with my pen down, it led to them calling on me.

My one difficult English teacher in HS used to call on me a lot, she actually made a point to try to call on everyone as much as she could but she picked on me more because I was quiet and also because she knew I was "smart" about the subjects. Sometimes the questions were really difficult to answer. So what I did was voluntarily raise my hand as soon as possible in the class to a question that I definitely knew the answer to. And then she wouldn't call on me again because I already used up a question and she wanted to call on other people.

·
Hermit on the Move
620 Posts
Yeah, had the same problem with my public speaking teacher. She always made sure that she had a question for me to answer every time I walk in the classroom. it was to the point where other people in the class told me they're glad when I show up cause that meant they wouldn't be picked to answer questions so much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts