Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im always indoors, never out! Its making me so depressed. I want to go out, there is stuff I need to do. But im too anxious..And the longer I leave it..the worse I get! :roll How can I find that confidence? have you been through this? I dont want to be scared anymore.

Help?

·
Wonderland
10,600 Posts
Hey Duane Louis,

Have you thought about getting a dog? Committing to walk it everyday will help you get out of the house , dogs are also comforting.

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
Hey Duane Louis,

Have you thought about getting a dog? Committing to walk it everyday will help you get out of the house , dogs are also comforting.
I'm sorry but you should never get a dog for any other reason than wanting to adopt a dog. Taking care of a dog is a big commitment in time, effort, money and attention and are doing neither yourself nor the dog any favors by getting it just because you want a workout buddy.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Work in small steps. Go outside for a few minutes at first then gradually work up. Eventually you won't mind being out at all.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Not only that, but it's a great way to meet women.

I'd love to get a dog or two but you have to have a fenced in yard in my area and I don't have a fenced in yard. :mum

·
Herp Derp
270 Posts
Not only that, but it's a great way to meet women.
yeah, because people on THIS BOARD will really be able to just start talking to random women on the street....

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
Hey I m too worried about it..i m homesick n moreover a chatty person..my answer is always no whenever someone asks me out..

·
Herp Derp
270 Posts
I was like this too. I got into bicycling sort of because I just couldn't take being alone in the house anymore. I started just doing long rides to pass the time.

My new bike was stolen a month ago from my apartment and I've been riding the bus around campus instead of biking and I hate it so much

·
When you herp, life derps
74 Posts
I'm sorry but you should never get a dog for any other reason than wanting to adopt a dog. Taking care of a dog is a big commitment in time, effort, money and attention and are doing neither yourself nor the dog any favors by getting it just because you want a workout buddy.
This. While dogs are great conversation starters, and chick magnets, they are living things that deserve respect and care.

Anyways for getting out more often sometimes its just all about taking a walk around the block, then the next day go a little farther, then maybe you go to the shop a few blocks down, etc. Also if you have a car or means to get around faster then grocery stores are great because they have things you need (food) and things you want (people to meet)

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
Just because someone wants a dog for a specific purpose doesn't mean they aren't going to take care of it. If they are a responsible person who likes animals, I see nothing wrong with getting a dog as a workout partner.

·
Custom User Title
4,231 Posts
Start exercising, doesn't have to be very taxing. Just walking for 15 minutes away from your house, and 15 minutes back (even 5 minutes to start with if that's what it takes!). Then, when you're ready pick up the pace. Or go for a little longer.

The more you do it, the easier it will get.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Start exercising, doesn't have to be very taxing. Just walking for 15 minutes away from your house, and 15 minutes back (even 5 minutes to start with if that's what it takes!). Then, when you're ready pick up the pace. Or go for a little longer.

The more you do it, the easier it will get.
What about in the winter in a place where it gets to be -50? =[

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm the same way and the only way I'll leave my house is if I have someone to go with me. I'm afraid to go anywhere alone and will only do it if it is totally necessary. I've gained quite a bit of weight because of this and it has me feeling more depressed than I usually do. Especially with winter coming up and other things I've been feeling like giving up on life. I'm going to miss the sun.

·
I have to feed my dog
1,889 Posts
yeah, walk. and then try saying hi people as you pass by. when you get comfortable with that, try talking to some of them.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts