Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hate my real name. I always dread when people ask what my name is. I always say my name quietly and awkwardly. I also hate when people say my name. I don't even know why I hate my name. I don't hate it for other people, I just hate it for me.

·
Quo
1,964 Posts
Weird weird problem, i know asking what your name is doesnt really matter because the problem is that you dont like it, so its not gonna matter if i say "Well, i dont know what you're worrying about, thats a lovely name", so i guess i cant help that way.
But at the end of the day, a name doesn't mean or affect much, its just a noise, a sound people will make to catch your attention, really, nobody really cares about names, like, do you?

·
Banned
13 Posts
I used to feel like this. It was whenever someone said my full name, especially in school. I'd cringe, and still do sometimes. I'm slowly learning to like my name though. I think mine started because a few people teased me about it. However you feel about it, just know others aren't thinking the same.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can't you change your name if you don't like it so much? It's fairly easy to change a name here in the U.S. and I actually helped a couple of people change theirs. I also use a different name for myself because my real name is hard for most people to remember it :)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
You can call yourself something else. Most people probably wouldn't mind.
I have this problem too, I hate my name. I think it's really awkward to say.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just hate my real name. I always dread when people ask what my name is. I always say my name quietly and awkwardly. I also hate when people say my name. I don't even know why I hate my name. I don't hate it for other people, I just hate it for me.
Uhmm.. Whats your name?

·
girl
386 Posts
i hate my full name too, especially my surname. i go by 'beffa' in most places because i'm not too keen on bethany. my middle name's ugly too and i hope someone will change my surname

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'd get your name legally changed if it really bothers you. It may cost money (I think that varies depending on where you are), but I don't think it would be that much and could be worth it if it really bothers you. Also, I don't know how old you are, but if you're under eighteen I think you'd have to get parental permission which maybe would be hard for you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what name I want to pick, so I can't change it to anything. I like to go by Lena on the internet, but that name is awkward to pronounce. I tried to go by that name for a bit, but it felt just as awkward as my real name. I'm still a bit attached to my real name. I just hate when people use my name. Maybe I just hate having a name. I'm just a freak of nature.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In my humble opinion, embrace your name, say it proudly, and never let anyone make you feel lessened from your name.

I am Asian, and I was fortunate to have a biblical name. However, my friend is, Vietnam, and he was born as "Long Dhong Sloang." In class, I would cringe because the professor would take one look at my friend's name and absolutely butcher it. The professors would usually say "Long Dong Slong...is there a Long Dong Slong present?"

I always shared in my friend's agony. We went to grad school together. He then went by "David." Now, he is a ruthless-personal injury attorney making $300,000 a year...good for him. Either change it, or embrace it...then just roll with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
So what is your name?? People make fun of my name all the time since it means a bird. I get called pigeon and all sorts of other stupid nicknames relating to birds. Why can't you just change your name? I know a girl who legally changed her name from Valeria to Valerie. It was weird.

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
I never use my legal name... ever. Not even my family uses it. Apparently some aunt named me and nobody liked it so most people call me by my nickname. I forget to answer when someone does try to call me it coz I've never associated myself with it. I should probably legally change it but I'm lazy.

·
Irreversibly Invisible
4,095 Posts
I'm not particularly fond of my name, either. I'm the same: I feel like it's a name meant for other people but not for me. It's exotic and beautiful while I'm plain and boring. It feels like it sets a standard for me that I'll never live up to.

It's also a weird name that sticks in people's heads. I went to see a professor when I was in college. I'd never met her, but she already knew my name. She said she was looking through the class roster and it stuck out to her. It was a beginning class with something like a hundred people in it but she remembered my name. A strange name and SA are not a good combination.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts