Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can I calm myself enough to see a doctor?

I've onlytalked to two people about my SA, and it's taken more than a year to accomplish that. The first was my mother, and although she seemed to understand and was supposed to arrange a doctor appointment for me, she has yet to do anything for me after 3 unbearable months (she has a great fear of doctors, as well as being very distracted with her own problems).

I told one of my friends recently, and it was very very difficult. My voice was shaking, i was almost in tears, i was so uncomfortable. It was so hard. And i couldn't articulate what I was feeling. This is after I have already breifly talked about it a couple times in the past, and while we were walking somewhere, not even face-to-face. I could barely do it and it was very very hard to convey my feelings.

She is willing to come with me (my friend) to a doctor to get meds (I'm not expecting anything better than SSRI's). She's on SSRI's already for depression, so she knows a bit about "it" or whatever.

I just have two problems: First, how can I calm down enough to talk to a doctor? I have severe SA and can't even order food from shops, let alone explain my SA to an uncaring stranger. Second, I'm afraid that two 18-yr-olds won't be taken seriously. How can I ensure that I will be taken seriosuly? Givene a referral to a "real" doctor (we are initally going to a clinic)?

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
Maybe she can help you get your point across? If you're serious about it, then the doctor will take you seriously.

·
Banned
501 Posts
I've onlytalked to two people about my SA, and it's taken more than a year to accomplish that. The first was my mother, and although she seemed to understand and was supposed to arrange a doctor appointment for me, she has yet to do anything for me after 3 unbearable months (she has a great fear of doctors, as well as being very distracted with her own problems).

I told one of my friends recently, and it was very very difficult. My voice was shaking, i was almost in tears, i was so uncomfortable. It was so hard. And i couldn't articulate what I was feeling. This is after I have already breifly talked about it a couple times in the past, and while we were walking somewhere, not even face-to-face. I could barely do it and it was very very hard to convey my feelings.

She is willing to come with me (my friend) to a doctor to get meds (I'm not expecting anything better than SSRI's). She's on SSRI's already for depression, so she knows a bit about "it" or whatever.

I just have two problems: First, how can I calm down enough to talk to a doctor? I have severe SA and can't even order food from shops, let alone explain my SA to an uncaring stranger. Second, I'm afraid that two 18-yr-olds won't be taken seriously. How can I ensure that I will be taken seriosuly? Givene a referral to a "real" doctor (we are initally going to a clinic)?

You can try this cognitive exercise I used to lower my anticipatory anxiety. It was so effective for me that it seemed like it temporarily terminated my social anxiety disorder when I went to my volunteer interview! Oh and by the way, I'm going to volunteer tomorrow!

Alright, so I wrote two blog entries on the cognitive exercise. The first one shows how to spot your irrational beliefs while the second one teaches you how to dispute them. Here they are:

http://dreadkiller.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/how-to-deal-with-a-dreadful-social-event-in-the-future/

http://dreadkiller.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/how-to-reduce-anticipatory-anxiety-part-2/

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
You can try this cognitive exercise I used to lower my anticipatory anxiety. It was so effective for me that it seemed like it temporarily terminated my social anxiety disorder when I went to my volunteer interview! Oh and by the way, I'm going to volunteer tomorrow!

Alright, so I wrote two blog entries on the cognitive exercise. The first one shows how to spot your irrational beliefs while the second one teaches you how to dispute them. Here they are:

http://dreadkiller.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/how-to-deal-with-a-dreadful-social-event-in-the-future/

http://dreadkiller.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/how-to-reduce-anticipatory-anxiety-part-2/
Those are great, thanks for posting them :)

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
You don't need to worry about the doctor not taking you seriously, they most definitely will and it's fantastic you have a friend who is willing to come along with you although with patient/doctor confidentiality I'm not sure she could actually go in to see the doctor with you.

Think of visiting the doctor as the start of a recovery, it's a light at the end of the tunnel which leads to the bright path of defeating your anxiety and going will only help you, it will not hinder you. You just need to build the courage and make that step, you will be grateful you did because I'm sure the doctor will then get you headed in the right direction to start your recovery against SA.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts