Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always loved it. But Ive never been good at it LOL! If I Could learn some basics in photography, what camera is good for a begginer etc..Id appreciate it! whenever I take pictures of people they say I have taken good pictures, well pictures of anything..please help me? I just need to know the basics and How I could go about it in the future like getting a job in that category or working for myself..thanks! I Know it will be hard work, but im ready.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you want to work in the photography industry you have to first off decide what avenue you are going to go down. Whether you are going to shoot portraits, landscapes, products, fine art, commercial etc. and then when you decide that, go find your niche.

For example I decided portraits was the genre for me, so I then had to fine my niche and my speciality.. so these days I am an location portrait and conceptual/horror photographer.

Then when you decide, you have to practise practise practise... read photography books and magazines, search online tutorials and practise the techniques you learn.
You will want to learn how to manually use your ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed.. these are the most important technical aspects of photography.

Photography is a harsh industry, you've gotta be ready for criticism and you have to be ready to fight for your corner of the market.. so a good business head and a good knowledge of networking is essential.

If you need any specific help, please get in touch.

·
Registered
717 Posts
For example I decided portraits was the genre for me, so I then had to fine my niche and my speciality.. so these days I am an location portrait and conceptual/horror photographer.
Interesting... I'd love to hear more about your experience. I love 'trying' doing portrait photography but its one of my greatest challenges due to the social interactions it requires. It's probably one of the things I like to challenge myself on but it can also be so overwhelming at times. I find candid shots easier to cope with as I can just quietly hide off to the side and snap away.

One of the other things I like to take shots of is people interacting. I think this is also because I like to study the social interactions of others... probably wondering why I find it so hard. I thought on something recently... I get so hard on myself for not being able to be the confident portrait photographer but then again there are a heap of nature/landscape/achitecture photographers etc that can't stand interacting with others as well ... they just dont feel the need to challenge themselves to try.

Anyway, sorry Duane Im off topic on your question. I dont consider myself a pro although I have sold a few shots but one thing I'd recommend is learning to shoot in manual mode as it gets you to understand about light and how it effects a shot. Composition is also something to work on. There are heaps of tutorials online... most important thing to do is get out there and practice! As metal heart said it can be hard as there is always someone ready to criticize. Since the digital camera boom its also very competative to get into.
You should upload some of your shots so we can take a look :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Metal_Heart pretty much nailed it.

Yes, portraits, weddings, anything to do with people really requires strong social skills. A lot of people feel a bit uncomfortable in front of a camera, even if they've hired you to do it, so to stay upbeat and personable no matter what your mood is a strong suit.

Shredder, you can try applying as a second shooter at a wedding. They're often just candids and not required to have dealings with the bride/groom/family. That said, second shooters are paid very little, if anything, depending on your arrangement with the primary shooter. I've hired one for an upcoming wedding and her "payment" is being able to use her own photos for her portfolio - something she's totally happy with as many primary shooters take the memory card at the end of the event and pay a small amount of money instead. Photography's harsh that way. You claw your way to the top.

By the way, I don't know what's considered a professional photographer. It seems most people with a camera can call themselves that. I'm a freelancer and work for a magazine (concert) so I guess I'll go so far as to just say I'm a paid photographer.

I guess the only thing I can add is grab every opportunity that comes at you. It's controversial, photographing for free, but when you're just starting out I think it's a great idea. Exposure is invaluable.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Interesting... I'd love to hear more about your experience. I love 'trying' doing portrait photography but its one of my greatest challenges due to the social interactions it requires. It's probably one of the things I like to challenge myself on but it can also be so overwhelming at times. I find candid shots easier to cope with as I can just quietly hide off to the side and snap away.

One of the other things I like to take shots of is people interacting. I think this is also because I like to study the social interactions of others... probably wondering why I find it so hard. I thought on something recently... I get so hard on myself for not being able to be the confident portrait photographer but then again there are a heap of nature/landscape/achitecture photographers etc that can't stand interacting with others as well ... they just dont feel the need to challenge themselves to try.

Anyway, sorry Duane Im off topic on your question. I dont consider myself a pro although I have sold a few shots but one thing I'd recommend is learning to shoot in manual mode as it gets you to understand about light and how it effects a shot. Composition is also something to work on. There are heaps of tutorials online... most important thing to do is get out there and practice! As metal heart said it can be hard as there is always someone ready to criticize. Since the digital camera boom its also very competative to get into.
You should upload some of your shots so we can take a look :)
I found it really difficult interacting with people at first, but my camera has become my confidence mask.. it's now the only time where I am comfortable in a social situation. Directing people, performing in front of them is very challenging for anybody when they start out.

Candid shots are easier, I totally understand that. It's also nicer sometimes to search for real moments whilst your hidden away. It's also in fashion nowadays to be the more "reportage" style photographer, even when you're shooting families... so if that's the style you prefer, there's no reason you can't make some money from it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts