• I don't know

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 17.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I live in the most populated part of my state, but I'm just awful. I do have a few friends, but none of them live in the area because they go to different schools. Right now even at school I'm completely isolated because my roommate this year never cared to get to know me and rarely talks to me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems like a social skills training class would help a lot of us.
How do you teach something that should come naturally?
We can remember somethings, but Living, and experiencing life should be natural. It should not be a script that you're following.

I'm not objecting to the idea, I would just like to point out that classes for such things do not seem like a good cure, because like ethics, or good manners, either you have it or you don't have it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
How do you teach something that should come naturally?
We can remember somethings, but Living, and experiencing life should be natural. It should not be a script that you're following.

I'm not objecting to the idea, I would just like to point out that classes for such things do not seem like a good cure, because like ethics, or good manners, either you have it or you don't have it.
I don't suggest it as a cure but maybe as a supplement. They do have social skills training classes that exist. I agree we don't seem to have these skills naturally but anything that could improve upon what we do have would seem like a plus. Ethics and good manners were taught. True some people may have a naturally tendency to be ethical or polite but much of it has to do with how your brought up.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm not isolated in the sense that I'm not afraid to go anywhere by myself, I can handle being anywhere being around social situations. But I'll never engage in those situations unless I happen to know someone, or it was related to conducting some kind of business. It's like having a glass wall surrounding you, you can see everything, but you aren't really apart of it, you suppress your emotions to the world and wallow in your fears, afraid to truly engage with anyone.

·
Protector of the Den
15,263 Posts
Nothing in common with most people
Boring/ can not carry a conversation
Plain old bad social skills
No motivation, unable to follow through
I'm too abnormal; Depression/Anxiety too strong
I don't know

·
Banned
160 Posts
No motivation, unable to follow through (negative thinking/feelings), and just feeling different from others. I also don't come off as approachable either, it kills me. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm not isolated in the sense that I'm not afraid to go anywhere by myself, I can handle being anywhere being around social situations. But I'll never engage in those situations unless I happen to know someone, or it was related to conducting some kind of business. It's like having a glass wall surrounding you, you can see everything, but you aren't really apart of it, you suppress your emotions to the world and wallow in your fears, afraid to truly engage with anyone.
Same for me.

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
All of the above except boring. I think everyone else is boring. I mostly just have nothing in common with most people. And the city I live in is rather crappy. No groups here for SA or anything. Closest is hours away :/

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isolated in space and time,
but united by our racing minds.
Eager to please, but slow to find
A friend, or just another life.
If things were right,
I wouldn't be lonely at night.
It's not that I don't try,
Or beg and cry,
It is how I always seem to mess up my lines
and the way I lack that perfect smile.
Eagerly I wish to shine,
like a special star in the sky;
known by all for my guiding light,
and seen from afar, even at night.
Oh, I do not lie,
when I say that I am fine,
but I would fill the world with sparkling wine,
if only she was mine.
But it's a curse and a bliss,
I dream of the brighter side of things,
while I fall deeper into the abyss.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I live in the middle of a city, but I can't leave the house alone.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
- I don't drive (somewhat limiting, but I get around on a bus)
- I'm awful for "carrying a conversation" and come off uninteresting and uninterested.
- Motivation issues: I'm good at coming up with ideas, but following through on them...? (see next point)
- "Depression/Anxiety too strong": Very strong..

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I live in a town with a pop of 4200 and there is a town right across the shipping canal with a pop of 7000. It is very close knit where I live. A lot of the locals don't really like outsiders like me. They hate the thought of people coming from out of the area buying up property. They are nice around here, but they don't really want to have anything to do with outsiders. It is hard to make any meaningful friendships here. I knew other people that came from out of the area and they said the same thing. So if it is hard for a normal person to make friends it is a lot harder for a person that has SA like I do. Unfortunately, the other outsiders I knew at work didn't stay here. They ended up leaving. Also, there is a huge population of Apostolic Lutherans. Their religion is very strict. They don't like to associate with people outside of their church. Some are so strict that they don't allow women to wear makeup and they have to wear dresses. A lot of them don't watch tv or go to the movies. They also have a tradition of having very large families. It is not unheard of a couple having 12 kids. So their population is going up here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.