Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you still watch horror movies that you used to when you were a child or when you were without anxiety? Me, for most of them, I can't anymore.
I think it's to try to avoid raising my stress level unesscessarily and the fact that I'm living alone with not much people to invite in my appartment to watch them, it would be too scary for me to do that alone and even with someone else with me when that person is gone I always have scary images that come to my mind at bedtime and I can't sleep for days!
A movie I couldn't see again even if I did a million times when I was young is pet semetary, I love the guy on the poster, who turn ghost in the beginning, but that lady who's the sick sister of rachel, zelda, she is just the scariest! I just remember her vaguely and it's better that way! (please do not post a pic of her I absolutely don't need to remember!) I know there's a warning in the movie when we're about to see her, the frames are crooked, but even with that it's impossible for me to see it again, can't see the ramones video too. The only thing that help me it's to think that it's actually a guy who's playing her! The clown from 'it' scare me alot too!
Do you have a movie you just can't watch anymore because of your anxiety and you're afraid that it will be bad for your stress?

·
The end is nigh.
873 Posts
Man, I feel so out of place in this thread. Whenever I'm feeling anxious, there's nothing that calms me down more than a scary movie. If I'm anxious or depressed or paranoid, I watch a movie about a serial killer or a haunted house and for some reason it cheers me up. Probably because I spent my entire childhood and teen years watching horror movies and they hold a special place in my heart...

·
Backstreet's Back ALRIGHT
1,006 Posts
Er....Not a huge effect, but the SAW movies make me paranoid and anxious. I hate those movies. I hate gory movies anyways.

·
Banned
138 Posts
For some reason, certain scary movies (Eg. saw) weren't very scary....
but stuff like the Grudge or the Ring... if I watch it I won't be able to sleep properly for a month... T___T

·
Quack
1,673 Posts
I can't, horror movies make me more anxious and paranoid. I always manage to convince myself that some killer is hiding in my bathroom waiting to strangle me or something.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Horror movies never made my anxiety worse or caused me to worry. Not many of them scare me though now because I'm mostly desensitized to them (but I avoid ones with a ton of gore) I prefer psychological thrillers and suspenseful movies.
I actually enjoy being scared (but in a safe environment) Around Halloween, I go to these walk through haunted houses and corn mazes where actors dressed as monsters/movie killers try to scare you. I think the adrenaline rush of it all gives me relief from anxiety.

·
A3rghee029
122 Posts
I have avoided watch "The labyrinth" since I was a kid. It gave me nightmares for months. I guess I would watch it again, just to see if I could. Requiem still freaks me out. I always have a blanket up to my eyes toward the end. Most scary/horror movies I enjoy.

·
The end is nigh.
873 Posts
While not a horror movie, "Animal House" is a movie I can't watch anymore because I never finished college and I feel guilty every time I watch it. So it's a horror story to me.

·
Banned
8,009 Posts
Some horror movies give me trouble sleeping if I watch them right before bed but I don't think its a sa thing. Only things to do with the paranormal get me like that, nothing else really bothers me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i havent seen any of the saw movies... aside from paranormal activity, i cant remember watching any horror movies in such a long time, i dont see the point.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I've had the opposite problem with a lot of horror movies: They don't make me anxious enough :)

One that I really do remember for this, though, was Child's Play 2. I watched that when I was like 10 years old, and to this day, the whole "living doll" thing still creeps me out.

·
Winter is coming
2,650 Posts
I've seen, just about, every good horror movie and there's just no good new ones out that can actually scare me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts