Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Define "horrible." I'm surrounded by low-rent lakefront properties (i,e, trailers), so I've had everything from a local Chief of Police to schizophrenic crankheads.

Typically, it's hysterically argumentative youngish families; usually with scary dogs (seriously, what is it about pit bulls and mastiffs that's so damned appealing?)...

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Define "horrible."
Loud, outrages and classless.

But most of all, just LOUD.

I hate it. I'm too scared to complain about the music so I told a best friend of theirs who is also friends with me that I'm going to the police.

Apparently, this person has told it to them as I expected. Now they are out in the garden most of the time making bigger noises and mocking me. They pass hints like "you can't go to the police when people talk" or "you are too ***** to go to the police".

Should I move?

·
Registered
229 Posts
It really all depends on whether you feel that your neighbors are simply obnoxious or actually dangerous. Not sure what you can do about the jayholes it sounds like you're describing besides calling the police, but if you don't feel physically safe where you are, you have every right to move.

We all (including your neighbors) know that subtle intimidation can be the worst, whether it's bullies on the playground or ones who live next door, since it's so much harder to document and actually catch them doing something wrong.

I don't know what it's like in other countries, but at least in the US the landlord is required by law to give you your entire security deposit back and cannot penalize you in any way for breaking a lease out of fear for personal safety, even if you leave in the dead of night with no advance notice given.

The only reason I know this is because my brother and I had to do just that when we were being harassed by neo-nazis who lived next door. By which I mean, not your everyday, rambunctious, "they're-really-nice-guys-underneath-all-those-tattoos" people; I'm talking about actual "Heil Hitler" neo-nazis whose bodies were covered in swastikas and "F*** N-words" tattoos. Not a good time.

I suppose you could always keep an eye open for another place, and if it got bad enough you could simply say you didn't feel physically safe living where you were. If it were me, though, I'd actually call the police and then do two things.

First, I'd let the police know that I was being harassed and that I feared possible retribution by the people next door for having the cops called on them. Second, I'd tell the next door neighbors that I had told the police that I feared the retribution from them. I'd also mention that I would call them again anytime they were too loud and didn't tone it down in the future (I'm assuming you're bothered by late-night / after-hours noise more than daytime activity).

Nobody likes to play the part of the crotchety old person yelling at those darn kids to stay off their lawn, but you have as much right to peace as anyone. To paraphrase an American folk saying, your neighbors' right to be loud stops at the beginning of your eardrum. Good luck with the situation!

·
SAS Member
25,273 Posts
Loud, outrages and classless.

But most of all, just LOUD.

I hate it. I'm too scared to complain about the music so I told a best friend of theirs who is also friends with me that I'm going to the police.

Apparently, this person has told it to them as I expected. Now they are out in the garden most of the time making bigger noises and mocking me. They pass hints like "you can't go to the police when people talk" or "you are too ***** to go to the police".

Should I move?
I would say without any doubt you should definitely move, I'm just thankful that I live on acreage.

·
The Last Outlaw
1,176 Posts
I recently moved town and the neighbours living either side of me could well be described as horrible. To the left is Mr Moody and his teenage son. Neither will respond to my hellos, they often dump their garbage outside my house (to prove their authority) which I swiftly dump back and routinely have screaming arguments most nights.

To the right is Old Woman Hell who, despite looking like a sweet old dear, has been spreading a lot of gossip about "the weird new man who isn't married" (aka: me) with other residents in the street. Worse still, I came home one evening to find my rear garden turned into a construction yard. She was having a new patio fitted and told the builders it was ok to dump all their stuff in my yard because I had given her permission! (she never even spoke to me).

Next home after this will definitely be a house in the remote countryside.

·
Super Moderator
33,900 Posts
You should call them "terrible". It's a funny word to me and makes me laugh when I think of it. Plus, it sounds exactly like what it means when you say it.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently moved town and the neighbours living either side of me could well be described as horrible. To the left is Mr Moody and his teenage son. Neither will respond to my hellos, they often dump their garbage outside my house (to prove their authority) which I swiftly dump back and routinely have screaming arguments most nights.

To the right is Old Woman Hell who, despite looking like a sweet old dear, has been spreading a lot of gossip about "the weird new man who isn't married" (aka: me) with other residents in the street. Worse still, I came home one evening to find my rear garden turned into a construction yard. She was having a new patio fitted and told the builders it was ok to dump all their stuff in my yard because I had given her permission! (she never even spoke to me).

Next home after this will definitely be a house in the remote countryside.
Oh boy! Some of the elderly ones are one of a kind nuisance and gossips. :no

·
Registered
647 Posts
One of my neighbors has 3 dogs who are left out in the yard all day and bark/howl all day. Honestly, I don't know why people want to have dogs if they're just going to leave them outside all the time (and this is a suburban setting, not out in the boonies). Finally had to call the 5-0 because a) the barking was driving us nuts and b) we were concerned about the dogs' welfare. After 2 visits from the cops, there has been no more barking/howling, at least so far. Really, I hate to be a douche, but there comes a time when enough is enough.

·
Registered
117 Posts
One of my neighbors has 3 dogs who are left out in the yard all day and bark/howl all day.
At least they're confined to the yard. I finally threatened to shoot one of my neighbor's mastiffs. It was extremely territorial and liked to wait outside my door whenever it broke loose. No barking there, just growling. (I am in the boonies, so calling "5-0" isn't much of an option.)

Fortunately, this was when the cop was across the street and he had my back on that one (he really hated those dogs).

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have sick upstairs neighbors a weird sick twisted man and has dumb naïve twisted wife. It's a long story I don't want to get into talking about those sick ***** creeps.
The sooner I get out this apartment building the better...I can't wait till October.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I worry about "horrible"/"terrible" neighbors--being the complainer or source of the complaint. I'm moving to a different city and have been pouring over apartment advertisements for about a month. Agghh!! I think it's easier/less noisy to live on the second or top floor if possible. It's safer too. All I'm hoping for is a neighbor that minds there own business and waves a cheerful "Hi" and "Bye"... It would be nice if they take their garbage out too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts