Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appologise... I haven't been here for ages, but that's because I thought I was doing relatively alright in coping with my SA (since my last visit I started therapy but am no longer having it, but that's another story).

Today was a rediculously ****ING **** day for me! :cry

As background, I have been working in a law firm for 1 1/2 years as a junior assistant and just started working for another lawyer three weeks ago (my 'boss').

All was going well today until late this afternoon. I was about to go home when my boss asked me where I had put a couple of cheques for settlement (I work in conveyancing, and these cheques were for about $40,000 and $18,000). I told her I put them in the post, and she said "WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR? They're for settlement tomorrow! Don't you KNOW that you don't post cheques for settlement? WHEN did I tell you to post them? I didn't, did I? God, why would you do that!!" I knew then that I was in deep ****.

I thought that maybe by some miracle the letter with the cheques attached to it would still be in my outbox, but they weren't (and mail had already been collected 1/2 an hour ago), so I went to reception to follow my boss, and I caught her saying to the receptionist "Do you know what Erin just did? She posted our settlement cheques! How stupid can you be?!!". I started getting teary, but managed to hold back my tears after a few seconds (I was amazed, cause I cry at the drop of a hat when someone shouts at me, or on occasions like this). She said "I didn't even sign the letter, so why would you even think of sending it out?". Then I just walked away and went to sit at my desk to compose myself.

I thought to myself 'should I just leave, or should I say something before I go' and then I heard her say to herself "Oh Erin, I could just shout!".

I bravely went into her office and asked if there was anything that I could do tomorrow morning to fix the problem. She just said "no, there's nothing at all. You can't just cancel bank cheques and get the bank to redraw them. Why, WHY would you send out at letter unsigned?" to which I replied "but you HAD signed the letter" (which is 100% true, she had). Then she said "This matter has had so many problems, and I can't believe we're not going to settle tomorrow because you posted the cheques!", and then she put her head in her hands and stayed like that for ages. I said I was sorry, and walked out and went home.

I just want to crawl up into a ball, go to sleep and never wake up. If this is how stressful life is going to be for the rest of my life, I want to quit. :fall

I really don't want to go to work tomorrow, or any time for that matter. I'm just sick of making mistakes... it makes my SA so much worse... :( :rain

·
Registered
9 Posts
You didn't do anything wrong. She is the one that f---ed up. Don't take the situation personally. She is looking for a scapegoat-- don't be it. Bank checks can be cancelled, call the issuing bank and find out the originator and cancel there. I work at a bank, certified checks were drawn on Citibank, not my bank.
Chin up,
:hug

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Debelf. It's horrible making mistakes that seem enormous to others! I've still got 1 hour before I have to face her, and let me tell you, I feel sick to the stomach.. :(

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
:hug :hug :hug i would just break down once she raises her voice... i am so weak in those situations. you handled it well it seems. it was a mistake but everyone makes them and i bet once she's had time to cool down she won't be so annoyed and will be forgiving.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well today went alright (alright only). She made me get upset because she called me into her office in the morning and told me I was to 'sort this problem out' myself. Ahh... anyway, I'm just sick of work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
From the sounds of it your boss made the mistake, you just carried out your orders as part of your routine.

She'll probably end up getting in some trouble and was likely deflecting some of the grief that'll be coming down on her from her own bosses.

Cheers to you for having the courage and composure to face down the situation. Jeers to your boss for using you as her punching bag.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm sorry, it is just one of those things. You didn't know, she over-reacted. It sounds AWFUL, I can understand that crawling into a hole feeling. :squeeze Other companies would have taught you their system clearer or given you a boss that was more helpful and constructive. I hope it gets sorted out soon. I'm sure you can stop cheques. :?
What sort of person takes out their anger on someone and reduces them to tears (or nearly), sounds like she has a bit of a problem there. :troll

·
Registered
73 Posts
Man, that sounds terrible. You are very brave to go back to work. Given time, this will blow over. Just try really hard not to beat yourself up about it. Nothing can be gained from that.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
She sounds narcissistic to me...I'd be wary.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That meany should have been more understanding. A new employee can't be expected to be perfect anyway. I do think though that she's just putting the guilt on you for her own error. If it was so important they should have made an effort to make sure that you understood their procedures. My boss used to be a screamer and I'd just stare at him not knowing what to say. I know it feels awful. :cuddle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts