Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been brought up, before, but I was just curious about this..

I've met a lot of smart, wonderful people on this board, and a lot of them have been in honors classes or an honors program in school. Specifically my questions target college students, but if you're in high school, surely this may apply to you as well...

In my college, at least, the Honors Program is a small community where you have to take some honors classes instead of regular ones, for your core (liberal arts) classes... You're with the same people in your year - about 20 per year - and you have maybe 2 classes a semester with these people. It's supposed to foster bonds and make us think and just connect us, but really we always complain that the classes are actually "dumbed down," and we even joke that the Honors Program is just a euphemism for classes for us special kids... :)

Okay, so with this sense of community -- like I said, about 20 of us -- you would think that my SA would eventually disappate, or at least become less noticible or SOMETHING. But no. In fact, it's worse. I dread going to these classes. My other classes are wonderful, but these... Ugh. The problem? The classes are boring, the people are fake, and everyone just talks about everyone else. I'm sort of on the outside, not doing any of the talking-about, and not really being talked about, either. But I hate it. They're just so mean and catty and I feel like we're back in junior high. This is supposed to be HONORS, for crying out loud!

Yeah, sorry for ranting a bit there. But it all comes down to this: if you've experienced this small, supposedly "close-knit" atmosphere of an Honors Program, do you think it's helped or hindered your SA?

xoxo
Maggi

·
Registered
610 Posts
i'm not in the honors program but back in hs i was in this program for artsy people. it's a program with maybe about 15 people and we go on trips to different art museums and stuff. in the entire year that i was in this program, i only made one friend and didn't know the names of maybe 5 or 6 of them. it didn't help or hinder my SA, well, i guess it helped since i made a friend

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't really know about any college honors programs since I wasn't ever in one, but I took some honors course in high school. I didn't notice any difference between the honors students and the regular students except the students in my honors classes in high school were a bit better behaved and seemed reasonably intelligent ... who knows, maybe I lucked out. Of course, I didn't have a lot of friends since I was so afraid to talk in class but that was just my perception.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No honors classes this semester. I think 15 credits and 5 regualr classes is enough lol. But all though high school and middle school I took honors classes and honors programs. It depended on the subject if it were difficult or not. Catty people diffenatly suck...alot. And i've encountered alot of these people...I stuck to myslef if classes were filled with a bunch of superiorty complex losers who only put others done for not knowing stupid random facts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I honestly could not disagree with your conclusion more. I was taking "regular" classes at my college and despised them. These classes were oversized, impersonal, and the majority of students I encountered (while some were cool) seemed like a bunch of immature slackers. And there always seemed to be some hateful loud mouth constantly making comments or dominating classroom discussion.

The honors program at my school consisted of a few hundred dedicated students on a campus of several thousand. Honors classes had a cap of twenty and almost every instructor I had was a phd.

There was also a difference in the honors students themselves. They were generally more thoughtful, polite and independent than people in my other classes. :nw

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am SO glad that you were able to experience what an Honors program should be.

It's sad. I know the "regular" classes have obnoxious students, but they're a blessing compared to the fake students in my Honors classes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts