Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you dont agree with HS Please dont answer.

Im here to ask If theres anyone who was/Is currently being homeschooled If so, tell me your stories!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was home educated. I think it contributed to the development of my social anxiety.

My opinion about it is that it should be "safe, legal, and rare."

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I haven't been homeschooled, but from what I've seen it's not that bad. Four of my cousins were homeschooled in a very very tiny country hamlet and they're all perfectly normal people. Three of them are what I'd call "totally awesome people." :b The three are all very social and I don't notice anything in them that might hint at anxiety. The eldest...maybe a little social anxiety...who knows. Their dad had severe anxiety. So there's nature and nurture against them and they're kind of ruling the world right now, haha. One's a married engineer, one's finishing med school happy as a clam, and the other is with the Canadian Forces as a pilot after attaining his engineering degree. Oh, and that eldest cousin who's pretty shy just got married and has some sweet job in Alberta using his PhD. They're an inspiration. :)

·
J. Alfred Prufrock
479 Posts
I was homeschooled for about five years, the first year being kindergarten and the other four my middle school years.

Pros:
-finish early
-my mom was my teacher; one-on-one learning, which may or may not have fostered higher intelligence

Cons:
-isolation
-books are not cheap

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was homeschooled online for the first time last year. I did very good academically, I literally got an A+ in every subject. But.. my social anxiety increased significantly. I was isolated all day on the computer. Another downside.. you have to be VERY motivated. I literally only got 2 days of summer vacation because I would slack off some days and get distracted and surf the internet or play a game.
Because of the social anxiety part, I decided I had to go to a regular school this year. I noticed I was a lot more anxious than before homeschooling, but gradually getting better because I can practice talking to classmates. My grades aren't perfect anymore since my social anxiety prevents me from asking teachers questions and stuff.

So basically homeschooling is good as long as you are motivated and have a social life so you aren't completely isolated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am homeschooled. I am so glad that I was! Maybe it's different for those who developed anxiety, but I was born with it, and I would have felt like even more of a freak if I had been around my peers all day. I'm glad that I was able to get to know myself better instead of being around others all the time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was homeschooled until 3rd grade. I think it could be a factor that caused my SA, but it also helped me make good grades when I went to school.

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
I am a homeschooling parent...

I am currently homeschooling my 13 yr old son. I prefer it due to learning issues he has and the overcrowded school system in my town. He was getting left behind in certain areas due to it and this way I can concentrate on the problem areas. And he likes it, plus for homeschoolers there are alot of resources out there, on-line groups, groups that meet monthly, a local church hosts a homeschooling get together once a month. So I think it is based on an individual need bases, some kids thrive in homeschool some need that everyday social interaction...

If you dont agree with HS Please dont answer.

Im here to ask If theres anyone who was/Is currently being homeschooled If so, tell me your stories!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts