Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hoarders here? I recently realized that I like to hoard a lot of things. Either because of some emotional attachment to something or because I hate to throw it away (like cans). My closet is full of things that I can't throw away simply because I've had it for so long. Like Calenders. I could throw them away but I think to myself "I've had this for so long and it was in my room for a whole year back in 1999. I can't get rid of this." or something like that.

As for stuff like cans and paper, I would much rather reclycle. Does anyone else think about every single thing you throw in the trash?

I also have a hard time throwing away things that others have given to me. Like its an insult to them or something.

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
I used to be that way, but my mother's a neat freak and I couldn't hang on to stuff for long. I attached emotions to EVERYTHING. I've learned that it's ok to throw away things though.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
I keep a lot of stuff I don't need. Like since 8th grade I've kept most of my worksheets/assignments. I have no use whatsoever for them. I plan on looking through it and throwing out most of it...but I don't see that happening any time soon.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tend to hold onto a lot. I have all my stuffed animals since I was born, juset because I can't let them go. "I remember when I got this", or "Aw, I took this to camp that one year".
I hate throwing away things people give me. I always worry they'll say 'Do you still have *Insert object? Can I see something on it?' and I won't have it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah I have a hard time throwing stuff away. I even keep my time and newsweek magazines. I got about 10 beer boxes of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hold onto everything. Some things because I hope it might suddenly be worth money, other things because I have a sentimental attachment to it. I've always attributed a personality to objects and I kind of feel like I'm turing my back on them when I replace them or throw them away. I'm selling my car and its almost like I'm giving away a lifelong pet or something. I feel bad about it.
I guess I'm just nutty :lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've still got all my old work from high school. I guess I like looking at it once in a while and remebering the 'good old days'

·
Registered
57 Posts
My mom is a tremendous hoarder. Growing up in a house covered with stuff was enough to make me a compulsive thrower away of stuff. I do feel bad throwing away things people have given me. But, if I haven't used it in a few years, I figure they won't remember, and I toss it or send it to Goodwill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
newtype said:
I go from one extreme to the other. I'll hoard stuff and then when it gets too much I'll realise how ridiculous I'm being so I'll start to get rid of things, except that I end up getting rid of too many things and end up regreting it! In some ridiculous cases I even ended up buying again something that I had previously gotten rid of! I'm an idiot! I wonder if my OCD has something to do with this.
When I get mad I'll just start going through my stuff, organizing and throwing things away. My perfectionism takes over then and I get overwhelmed and exhausted. I usually end up regretting throwing something away.

I also am anxious about everything that I and anyone else throws away. I feel responsible like I'm trashing the earth if I don't recycle. At one point I took upon myself early every morning before the trashman comes to try to go to as many homes as possible and recycle what I could. It got to be overwhelming and exhausting. Now I just get depressed about what gets thrown away.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am such a hoarder!
I am in the process of moving, and have had to sort through so much junk. It's really emotional having to throw out things. :( It may just be a bit of scrap paper, or an old magazine to someone else... but they represent a memory to me. And those that aren't memories, well they will come in handy one day right? You never know when you might need a 12 year old copy of Cosmo! :b Seriously, that is how I see it. It just seems such a waste to throw something out. I recycle and donate as much as I can- but I still feel guilty about getting rid of the stuff. :um

·
Registered
333 Posts
im the exact opposite.all it takes is a major case of depression and i start ripping and breaking stuff i never liked thats in my room.Now its pretty much bare.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I'm getting really tired of all the clutter in my parent's house. It doesn't really feel good to live in a cluttered environment.

I want my mom to let go of some of the stuff she has so she can get new stuff.

I'm more of a paper hoarder. I write down things like all the time. I recently noticed how much I do it and it almost seems like a compulsive thing to me. I'm always writing something down. I'm trying to go through my paper's right now. That's difficult. I just don't want to let go of something that I might need again, but I am trying to be realistic about the whole process.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, at least it's not just me.

Gemini82 wrote:
I also have a hard time throwing away things that others have given to me. Like its an insult to them or something.
I feel the same. Maybe I'm thinking, like BeautifullyDemented wrote, that the giver will discover I've done so.

I horde various other stuff too, especially books and papers and recyclables and broken appliances. Ychhh. Every now and then I used to try to separate what I really wanted to keep, and dispose of the rest, but I always found it difficult!! My Mom and grandmother speak of feeling good when they throw out stuff they don't need, but for me it was just the opposite. After sorting for several minutes, I'd begin to get depressed. Then I'd get angry. Furthermore, having altered their positions, I sometimes have more trouble finding things I need after cleaning up.

I think I'd be much better at throwing stuff away if I could easily determine what I'd miss. Instead my OCD gets in the way: the longer I consider an object, the more I doubt I would not miss it!

Also, I think hoarding runs in families. Although some memebers of my family throw things out with alacrity, my brother hoards lists of information and my cousin not only clips articles from newspapers but also hangs on to old mechanical things. He says he has "abandonment issues."

One problem I have but my kin do not is the interaction of purity/pollution ocd with hoarding. It is particularly cumbersome and difficult to sort things out while at the same time keeping what's "clean" separate and safe from what is "contaminated."

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not as bad as the collyer brothers yet, but my flat is definitely on the messy side. And I've got folding crates of useless junk all up one of the walls in the living room.

I used to hate myself for this because my mum would criticise, but I realise now that some of my relatives are even worse than me, so I give myself a little slack. But I still definitely suffer from chaos (can't have anyone over syndrome). Come to think of it, that's probably a major part of my social anxiety and relationship difficulties.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't generally have a big problem throwing stuff away. My sister, however, is (and I know this sounds bad) a Collyer in training. Her bedroom is essentially a landfill thickly strewn with all kinds of stuff. Knee-deep in the crap. She collects everything she can and NEVER throws anything away. We're afraid to go in there for fear there might be dangerous animals living under the debris...

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I hoard everything. Every drawer every closet and under my bed it all packed with junk everywhere. I cant seem to wanna throw stuff out. I collect everything. Im also a recycling fanatic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts