Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people on here, like myself, choose not to tell people about their problems. For those who have done it though, how did the person you talked to react? Were they supportive, were they understand or did they even react badly?

This question probably doesn't apply to people who you see every day, but rather to the new people in your life who are just getting to know you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think it probably depends on the person, but it has never been an issue for me. I've done it as part of an introduction to someone when asking to sit with her if she could excuse my awkwardness, and it actually worked. And I have told someone upon first hanging out and he offered a lot of support and even proposed ways to help me meet people and change my negative attitude. While it's not typical for me to tell people, I don't find it is an issue with new people when I do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So far I've only told my parents and a couple of my close friends. My parents have been very supportive and encouraging about the whole thing so far.

My friends... maybe not so much. One of them tried to convince me I didn't have a problem because I don't have acute enough anxiety to cause panic attacks in social situations. I know now she was wrong, but I haven't brought it up to her because I don't want to get in another argument.

Another friend started talking about how he thinks therapists are worthless and a waste of money. I tried to explain why I want to go to a therapist as best as I could (I feel that I need professional guidance in how to overcome my social anxiety), and neither of us has brought it up, since.

It feels kind of awful to not have the support of my friends, since I usually respect their opinions and input on a lot of things. But I guess this is one of those things that's hard to understand unless you've experienced it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I can only think of one time that I did that? It was to this girl that was the daughter of a family friend.

She wasnt weirded out or acted shocked or anything. Didn't judge negatively either. We even became good phone pals afterwards. She seemed to find a liking in me. But that didn't last long. After several attempts from her trying to get me to go out to social places and me kindly refusing, she eventually stopped texting me. The end. :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
They've been very understanding. It was a relief telling my parents because I didn't want to think I had SA for the longest time. I told my teacher once because I couldn't do a presentation and she gave me a good grade anyway, and then later asked me if I was feeling better.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.