Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else out there had Borderline Personality Disorder, or any issues with cutting. I would like to talk to people about this, but it's hard to find good forums about these things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really is. I think I started with scratching with my fingernails actually, and moved on to other things. The worst it got I was using utility knives. Bad idea.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am 28 and I have issues with cutting. Not so much in the 'normal' way (ha, you know what i mean there right?) but because my anxiety gets bad and to keep myself from visibly freaking out in some situations, I scratch my arms until I bleed and then some. I have gotten a really bad infection from it once too... nice red stripes up and down the length of my arm! yuck. I don't do it regularly though..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am 28 and I have issues with cutting. Not so much in the 'normal' way (ha, you know what i mean there right?) but because my anxiety gets bad and to keep myself from visibly freaking out in some situations, I scratch my arms until I bleed and then some. I have gotten a really bad infection from it once too... nice red stripes up and down the length of my arm! yuck. I don't do it regularly though..
mmm. you put this into words perfectly. I have a friedn who cuts the "real" way and she CANNOT understand what i mean when i try to describe what you're talking about. She doesn't understand that they are not the same thing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah- I don't do it all the time. It isn't done for quite the same reasons as usual cutters do. However, it is my reaction to stress and anxiety in particular situations, so if I am dealing with a lot then I tend to do it often. I don't use sharp objects and I don't even have to be alone to do it- I have done it on a crowded bus before (which was WHY, lol). One thumbnail scratching the same part of my wrist over and over (hidden under my sweatshirt) to keep myself from getting visibly upset. Not razorblades and locked doors.

That said- my therapists don't see it as being that different. They say sure it is less likely to accidentally cause serious injury, but it is still a coping mechanism, and therefore not any less serious. Apparently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.