Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lost but seeking
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just came back from a birthday party at a restaurant, which had like 15 people; left two hours later (it will prolly go on all night long) and first thing I did when I got home was searching for "social anxiety forum" on google.

I sat at the table with all those people and couldn't say a word, then when a girl stood up to go home, I just did the same and while she was saying goodbye to everyone I just walked away.

I wasn't always like this. Don't really know what happened, but I can even remember myself being alot social until like 10 years ago. When I'm near people I just don't have anything to say; my mind goes blank and as I see them all talking, laughing and having fun... Well, it's just depressing.

I don't know if this place will help me, I actually think nothing can help me be free from this, but I'd atleast like a place to talk to people who feel the same as I do.

Huh, I'm Leonardo, 24yo, a brazilian psychology student (how ironic is that?).

Guess that's about it.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
The fact that your a psych student and struggling with this is proof

Knowledge does not equal change, despite what self help garbage will help you believe

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, GiTS! :)

We know about the lingering effects of social interaction - out of control thinking, and the negativity :no :(.
It won't always be that bad. Some practice on thought replacement (with positive thoughts), events like birthday parties will be easier!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Leonardo, welcome to :sas

·
Lost but seeking
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About social events, I can actually go. But then I see everyone talking and I have nothing to talk to them, so I feel like I don't belong there. That's what triggers the bad feelings the most, I guess.

Then, when I have others events to go, I remember the last ones, and most of the times I just stay home to avoid the situation. But this year I decided to force myself into going to social events, even if it makes me feel like crap. That's why I went to the party yesterday.

It does made me feel a little proud, since until last year I wouldn't even consider going, but it actually didn't change anything about my anxiety when I'm caught up in situations like these. I'd like to be just like "normal" people who have no issues with interacting with each other in social meetings.

Thanks for the welcoming

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.