Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i go to dances outside of school (like i'm in key club and we have dances for that ) and it's all high school kids, but it's not like the school dances, they don't really care how you dance so everyone freaks with each other....well not everyone...but a lot of people....some people just dance normal though. i can't even dance normal, i feel so stupid so i just kinda stand there and everyone asks me why aren't you dancing??? and they try to get me to dance with them but i can't do it...i just feel too stupid....i really want to try freaking next time i go to a dance even though it's not exactly "classy" but it looks fun...aghh.. can anyone relate?? next time i go to a dance i'm not going to just stand there all nervouss

i could show up slightly drunk, not to the point of being obvious, just slightly tipsy, (so it looks like i'm sober but i'm just outgoing), i'd feel guilty for that though...

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
well i cant really relate to what you said but i can tell you dont think to much about it you'll just end up over thinking and going blehX_X. just go in and have fun :boogie

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
my friends dancing is very different from high school dancing and "freaking", but regardless, yea i'm really really self-conscious with dancing. i can't enjoy it. even the time i was most wasted and i went to this small club/bar that wasn't too bad as it wasn't like just guys trying to get with girls and it was just my friends dancing with each other.. i couldn't really do it for long. my friends mostly just act silly too and they don't try to look hot or cool. but still, it bores me after a few seconds. :/ i feel like a downer when they try to get me to dance and i always try to get out of it.

honestly though i think i'd rather stand awkwardly on the sidelines of the dance floor and try to talk with the awkward guys standing around alone. not to hit on them, just talk casually about how bad the music is or something.

haha its actually pretty shocking the high school kids don't pre-drink those occaisons. that would be pretty common among the people i know.
not that i'm trying to condone pre-drinking to deal with the anxiety, but in your situation i would probably do that.
i wouldn't get too drunk, just drink a little.

so i don't really have and good or real advice, sorry :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my friends dancing is very different from high school dancing and "freaking", but regardless, yea i'm really really self-conscious with dancing. i can't enjoy it. even the time i was most wasted and i went to this small club/bar that wasn't too bad as it wasn't like just guys trying to get with girls and it was just my friends dancing with each other.. i couldn't really do it for long. my friends mostly just act silly too and they don't try to look hot or cool. but still, it bores me after a few seconds. :/ i feel like a downer when they try to get me to dance and i always try to get out of it.

honestly though i think i'd rather stand awkwardly on the sidelines of the dance floor and try to talk with the awkward guys standing around alone. not to hit on them, just talk casually about how bad the music is or something.

haha its actually pretty shocking the high school kids don't pre-drink those occaisons. that would be pretty common among the people i know.
not that i'm trying to condone pre-drinking to deal with the anxiety, but in your situation i would probably do that.
i wouldn't get too drunk, just drink a little.

so i don't really have and good or real advice, sorry :p
well kids do pre-drink and the other dances i've gone to (sometimes they even get alcohol into the dance) but i'm going to a key club dance and that is a community service club so most of the kids in there are pretty conservative, they dont do things like that.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Yep I've been in that situation. I see all the guys- & girls paired uo, freaking, and I want to do it, but yet I'm so hung up that I may appear like a dork if I approach someone.

(i'm past high school though, so this is mostly behind me).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts