Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how you have to complete your 40 hours of volunteering in order to graduate H.S.?

Has anyone gotten excused from this? It's kind of a big deal. However, I am having so much trouble doing it. I want to graduate this year, but only have like 2 weeks to get them in. the whole reason I don't have them done is because every time I think about volunteering, I panic, and I know I wouldn't be able to volunteer.

I'm not being lazy *****, I can't do it! Is there any way to get excused? I don't have a doctor, so I can't really get a note, but I have a mom :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe if you look around you can find some volunteering opportunities that don't really require socializing. Maybe your mom can write a note to excuse you..might as well try. In the long run, I'd find a doctor and try to figure the social anxiety out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are oppurtunities everywhere. That's how I know I can'tdo it (I know that's unproductive thinking)...I will see an easy oppurtunity (like at the second hand store i was at, there was a big sign wanting volunteers) and think "hmm...easy" and then "OH **** I CAN NOT DO THAT ALL THE STARING AND THE INTERVIEW AND THEN ASKING THEM TO SIGN MY VOLUNTEER SHETT AND THEN WHEN I AM IISHED HOW DO I SAY TO THEM THAT I AM LEAVING????ARRRGH!!!"

I will attempt to get a note from mom, but i feel as though they will say "it's ****ing easy. Just do it."

·
Banned
791 Posts
I did the volunteer work anyway. We didn't have requirements where I live. Personally I think a requirement like that is ridiculous. Imho, more important to have a job. Or if they want to require some stuff like that, why not require jobshadowing, or interning or something depending on what your goals are after school is done?

·
Registered
604 Posts
You know how you have to complete your 40 hours of volunteering in order to graduate H.S.?

Has anyone gotten excused from this? It's kind of a big deal. However, I am having so much trouble doing it. I want to graduate this year, but only have like 2 weeks to get them in. the whole reason I don't have them done is because every time I think about volunteering, I panic, and I know I wouldn't be able to volunteer.

I'm not being lazy *****, I can't do it! Is there any way to get excused? I don't have a doctor, so I can't really get a note, but I have a mom :)
I've never had that kind of requirement in High School. I did have to volunteer 20 hrs in Middle School and I just finished the hours at a senior home. It was so quiet and I just spent the time mostly reading to them and helping them with certain things. I think it's hard to lie because you need to get some signatures am I right?

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I am well versed in the high school volunteer hours, as I had to do 300 hours for 11th and 12th grade. I ended up with documentation for over 400 hours.

There are tons of places you can get your volunteer hours without a lot of social interaction. Also a lot of places that are used to these high school kids, and so won't be phased when you ask for a signature on your paper and then disappear forever. Lots of Societies like the MS Society or Cancer Society need volunteers to set up for events, and animal shelters always need people to walk dogs. There are usually one or two service clubs in a high school, where you can show up for lunch hour meetings and the hours quickly add up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, really.
Unless they require you to provide a picture of you doing the work, make up a business name & have a family member or a friend's parent sign it.
Or you can sign it.
That's what I do.
=)
But next year, I need a picture of me doing the work >=(

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
where do you live, Biscuit?

i was really terrified to do mine as well. so i put them off until the last semester of school. i checked the volunteer section of craigslist, found an ad for scanning books at a university here, replied to it and got my remaining hours through that. it was very easy, SA-wise.
if you are in Toronto by any chance, then i can give you the contact info for the placement, they are always looking for volunteers.

oh - i also did a 6 hour volunteer thing, with my friend (probably why i did it). it was one of my most "non-SA" things i've done. it was for a city-run survey on homelessness, and for six hours straight i had to walk down one of the busiest streets in the city and ask every single person if they'd like to do a survey. i wasn't very good at it, i always spoke too quietly and stumbled on my words. and then when i came across a person who was homeless i had to do a 10-minute interview. by the end it was exhausting, but i was proud of myself and it was interesting as well.
but i wouldn't recommend it if you have bad SA, hah

·
kawaii neko chan
52 Posts
It's hard to say... my friend hooked me up with this thing at the nearby community center called the buddy program where we do fun stuff with kids who immigrated to Canada and it's all for free. I just did it cause of the cool free stuff (we'd go see movies and go to amusement parks and neat things like that :D) and my volunteer hours filled up in no time as well as being easy. I guess you'd have to have a tolerance for kids though for that kind of thing : |

Mandatory volunterr hours sound pretty stupid, it's like an oxymoron...volunteer is supposed to be just that you volunteering I hate the whole thing of HAVING to do it, it makes it not really volunteering anymore more like slave labour : | you just gotta be smart about it and do something easy for SA.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Huh that's intresting I didn't have to do anything.

Butttt, there is plenty of places you can do that doesn't require much interaction. I know my mom was doing some sort of volunteer work at this kids place for parents who have busy lives and whatnot. She did like filing and cleaned toys.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
I had to do two internships when I was in college to earn my Human Services degree. I did a total of over 400 hours. The first one I spent a couple of months working in a shelter workshop, and one month working in a group home. Then I worked with a Case Manager for three months at a county facility for the elderly,DD, and MI populations. At first I was terrified of doing this, but found out it wasn't that bad. I actually liked it. A very good thing you could do is go to a Nursing Home and read to the patients.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
You can volunteer in non-social ways. Filing papers at a Church, polishing trophies at your school (I actually completely did this), sorting cans at a food center, etc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
i lied and i said i was tutoring students, and for some of the hours i actually volunteered at the lung association... they didn't bother me with checking anything

1 - 16 of 16 Posts