Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are very few people who really know me, sometimes i just feel like if its a secret, especially with my parents they have no idea who i really am they don't know i have SA either, i just feel like i cant be myself with them and show my real interests even dough I've lived with them my whole life. Sometimes it feels like if i have to hide everything.
anyone can relate?

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Yeah, I feel like I hide lots of things from my parents, and people I know in general. I do divulge lots of details to certain people, but it's selective. I just often feel that my views or opinions are often unpopular so I keep quiet. I'm ok at expressing myself in an online setting like this though.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
I hide my anxiety and my true self too. I dont talk about myself to anyone not even my psychiatrist. only do i discuss safe topics because well theyre safe. i need to get out of my shell though..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know how you feel. I can only tell one person that I'm depressed as he is the only one who doesn't take it out on me. Why do people always attack you when you tell them your upset or depressed? My mom literally yells at me like I'm an idiot and so does my sister.

But I have yet to tell anyone about my anxiety I'm sure some of them see it but are ignorant of what it is. And I don't want to tell anyone as I'm afraid of what it will start.

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
I feel the same way. SA holds me back from any and most relationships. I think SA makes me come off as self center, quiet, and eccentric. I think I'm the complete opposite inside, and express it online more than anywheres else.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,057 Posts
I either hold my tongue or general expressions of personality because I don't think they will be well received or because I'm anxious & simply not comfortable opening to people. Either way it makes it hard for people to know me fully. I also have a fear of opening up & having people use what I reveal against me, it something I really have to work on

·
Resonating imperfection
284 Posts
"Who you really are" is whoever you decide you want to be. You don't have to be a slave to this "who you really are" concept. Don't like it? Be something else.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are very few people who really know me, sometimes i just feel like if its a secret, especially with my parents they have no idea who i really am they don't know i have SA either, i just feel like i cant be myself with them and show my real interests even dough I've lived with them my whole life. Sometimes it feels like if i have to hide everything.
anyone can relate?
I feel exactly the same way. I'm glad I'm not the only one... I'm moving out in the fall, so I'm hoping when I'm away and on my own I'll be able to be myself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had a hard time expressing myself outwardly since I was a child, but it's gotten especially bad since my insecurities bloomed into full blown disorders.

I recently started a blog (well, a tumblr) to fight this. I've had a few blogs over the years but I always go either one of two ways with them: tell people I know about it and reveal nothing personal, or tell no one and reveal everything. Either way I wind up deleting them after a month or two.

I was recently hospitalized in large part due to anxiety, however, and so a lot of what was inside me came out anyway. I'm trying to turn this into a positive and use it as a turning point in my life so I can make certain changes that will help me in dealing with people and establishing relationships. Expressing myself being pretty key to all of that.

225 Posts
Yeah, I feel like I hide lots of things from my parents, and people I know in general. I do divulge lots of details to certain people, but it's selective. I just often feel that my views or opinions are often unpopular so I keep quiet. I'm ok at expressing myself in an online setting like this though.
I'm too streetsmart to not hide certain. the world can be very cruel to the misunderstood and in my opinion only a fool says all that's on his mind to those he is not intimately bound to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most of us are very intelligent and have great personalities,but a freaking stupid illness restricts us from showing it.I have had lots of things to say and discuss over the years,but nobody to discuss things with.I guess that's why I talk to myself most of the time. :blank I've always felt like no one will ever see the real me,only a watered down version.I wonder how much we could all accomplish if we weren't labeled as the "weird quiet person" throughout our life.

·
Trapped
322 Posts
anyone can relate?
Yeah I feel the same way, there's noone who really 'knows' me. I don't even know if I know myself. I keep all my interests private, even though at times I wish I could talk about them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts