Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I wanted to know if anyone has any good ways of hiding social anxiety or acting confident? I have something coming up in te next few weeks, where 400+ people will be squished into a room together. I'm worried I will have a panic attack in the middle, especially because half the people I don't know. What I'm mainly looking for is how to hide blushing (through makeup?), because I tend to blush when meeting new people and I don't want to embarrass myself. I'm praying they will have the lights off for most of the night, have dimmed lights make me feel more secure as people find it harder to see my expressions and my face when its darker, and I know that avoidance isn't key in recovery, but does anyone have any good excuses I could use to leave if the lights turn back on? This is really important, so any replies that I get will be much appreciated!! xx

·
Registered
40 Posts
Makeup does help blushing. Also, try some simple breathing exercises (you can look up a bunch online), they often help. I don't know that hiding anxiety or especially a panic attack is that realistic of a goal, but you can totally minimize it. Just try not to get into your head too much, and let your inner voice be nice to you for once. A lot of people with anxiety tell themselves that things they do are wrong or bad right off the bat. Chances are, if you do or say something that gets your inner voice all riled up, no one but you noticed anything out of the ordinary.

But if I were you I would make less of a conscious effort to hide it (in fact I find that allowing some of your anxiety to show is a helpful way of communicating with people- if they notice at all, their response is usual sympathetic), and more of an effort to just minimize it. Sounds like a big event you're going to and I think everyone in the room will be feeling a certain degree of anxiety as well, so showing some anxiety is acceptable. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you this was actually really helpful in calming my nerves a little bit. I, as most people with social anxiety do, do awkward or embarrassing things because I over think everything I do and say and try to make myself not seem awkward and then in turn, make myself seem awkward. You're right when you say everyone will be feeling anxiety as well, maybe not on the same level, but thats ok. Thank you xxx :eyes

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
The energy you spend trying to hide it, will just in turn cause you more anxiety. If someone asks me why I seem quiet or nervous, I just tell them that I get anxiety around people and that certain things are difficult for me. They can either accept for for who I am, or they can't. It's a good way to test someone else's character. To my surprise, I've had people tell me they feel the same way a lot. I've also had some people just laugh.

To me that's a good thing. The people who are understanding are the people I trust and keep around, the people who are ignorant or make a joke about it, are not worth wasting my friendly efforts on.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith.
216 Posts
The energy you spend trying to hide it, will just in turn cause you more anxiety. If someone asks me why I seem quiet or nervous, I just tell them that I get anxiety around people and that certain things are difficult for me. They can either accept for for who I am, or they can't. It's a good way to test someone else's character. To my surprise, I've had people tell me they feel the same way a lot. I've also had some people just laugh.

To me that's a good thing. The people who are understanding are the people I trust and keep around, the people who are ignorant or make a joke about it, are not worth wasting my friendly efforts on.
Nice way of looking at it that way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just letting you all know I went to my event and all was well, I had to retreat to the bathroom for about 5 minutes to calm my nerves but I very enjoyable time besides that! thankyou all again very much xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts