Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago a student in my anatomy class asked me if I had gotten a message she sent me on facebook asking for the lecture notes. I hadn't seen it and thought maybe she had sent it to the wrong person. A couple weeks later, I found her message, among others, in the "other message" box. I had received no notifications whatsoever. Did you know about this "other inbox"?

Here is an article about it:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...ges_mail_you_are_probably_missing.single.html

Facebook, the representative told me, switched to the "Social Inbox" in November 2010 to sift out "meaningful" messages from less meaningful ones. She sent along this official explanation, which is also posted on the company's blog:

It seems wrong that an email message from your best friend gets sandwiched between a bill and a bank statement. It's not that those other messages aren't important, but one of them is more meaningful. With new Messages, your Inbox will only contain messages from your friends and their friends. All other messages will go into an Other folder where you can look at them separately. If someone you know isn't on Facebook, that person's email will initially go into the Other folder. You can easily move that conversation into the Inbox, and all the future conversations with that friend will show up there.

Before the Social Inbox, all messages trickled into a user's central inbox. But since the switch, messages don't appear in the main inbox unless they're from friends or friends-of-friends. Messages sent to mailing lists and broad distribution groups are also sifted out. Last November's messaging revamp also introduced Facebook email and text messaging. Both must be activated before they work. If you activate Facebook email (at the top of your Messages landing page) or turn on text messaging, those messages will also filter into your main Social Inbox.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I just checked. All of the messages are from non-friends like celebrities I am a fan of or animal groups I am a fan of.

I wish FB would stop filtering everything. I wonder how many updates I've missed from friends - how do they know what I want to see? I only have about 120 friends. I can see how if you have 600 or more that you couldn't possibly get through the news feed each day or how you would miss seeing the people's updates who you care about. But some of us don't need all this "smart" filtering.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
Wow, 15 messages - and one from someone from SAS wanting to add me. I hope they don't think I'm ignoring them or anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts