Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Stephanie and I'm a 16 year old student in the 11th grade. I enjoy reading all genres of novels, creative writing, listening to music and watching movies. I unfortunately suffer from social anxiety disorder and depression. I've been slightly shy and introverted for as long as I can remember, however things worsened for me 2 years ago when I entered high school. The increased volume of people that I had access to, as well as the extensive appearance-related bullying that I'd faced throughout elementary school manifested itself into low self-esteem issues, social anxiety disorder and severe depression. I also experience minor anxiety attacks at school on a daily basis.

At the end of my 10th grade year, my depression and social anxiety spiralled out of control. I couldn't leave bed to go to school and I had no interest in talking to anyone or doing any of the hobbies that I enjoyed. I also had severe headaches and nausea- physical manifestations of depression- and I was excused from my exams at the end of the year. I relaxed in the summer, thinking a break from the academic stress was what I needed to feel better.

Entering the 11th grade, I was on top of the World. I'm a high academic achiever, and a member of several groups within my school, including the student and parent councils and so all of these things were going well despite my severe anxiety in social situations. I won the Highest Academic Achievement Award for my grade 10 academic school year, and all was great. However, my depression soon took over my life again, and I was forced to drop out of the Physics class that I was taking, and I was placed on anti-depressants, which I've been taking for about 2 months now. I managed to study hard despite my issues, and I finished my exams strong, earning an average of 95%.

I've been feeling slightly better since getting on my anti-depressants, however, life is still a struggle. I've been getting out with friends more often, and trying to interact better in social situations, but my anxiety really holds me back. I want to date, learn how to drive, walk down the hallways at school without hyperventilating, get an English degree at University and have a nice life, but how can I manage to do all of this when I struggle in every social situation? I'm not sure how to cope with my anxiety, so maybe someone on here could help me out? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that was a long and rather morbid introduction. Oh well, at least it felt good to rant a little bit :)

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, DreamChick! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts