Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Didn't know that these websites existed til now so thought i'd give it a try.

i'm 18 and i'm currently in my second year at college after a terrible first year at college where the few friends i'd managed to make finally cut me out for not being 'interested enough' because i didnt want to go out every weekend and get wasted every weekend so they just got ridda me. made me feel ace lol

Always been super quiet and never noticed by anybody, basically slightly invisible. Finding things difficult now that i have no friends as its very hard to deal with going to college and i tend to go the whole day without eating as i refuse to sit in the canteen alone or eat in front of anybody. i'm anxious about pretty much everything and everybody, especially girls as i constantly think they are judging the way i look or my clothes or hair or whatever and in my experiance girls are b*tchy lol i have been cursed in this way for as long as i can remember and slowly getting worse :D would do anything for a friend right now as nobody seems to understand the limits of what i will and wont do, just want someone to talk to who understands and isn't gonna get angry with me for 'being stupid' :D

This is kinda hard to post as im slightly worried nobody will want to talk to me here either lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Welcome to the site. :)

I had a problem with eating in public, for years, so I know how you feel. I finally got over that a few years ago (and I ended up wondering what had taken me so long, as usual). :) I do know how you feel, though. :heart

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Bekah! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Bekah, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for taking a chance and coming on here! I know what you mean about being worried that no one would respond to your post as that's how I felt the first time I joined a message board. Even though no one can see you you're still putting yourself out there for rejection, so good job taking that big step!

It sounds like your friends weren't really good friends anyway. I can relate about the wanting to fit in and not bit as I'm not a big drinker (try a drink every few months) and it's a lot of unfair pressure on yourself to try and become someone you're not. Keep in mind that not everyone is into the drinking/partying scene, it's just a matter of finding the right group of people/person who has the same interests as you. My closest friend is one I've known since high school (and I'm 35 now) and she too was not a big drinker, we would just look at those around us and comment to ourselves that we're just not like them and it was okay. And now that I live in a different country than her and co-workers make comments about drinking etc I just smile but I'm proud of myself that I'm okay with not being into that.

I can relate about the not eating in public part, as there were times when I had to attend training seminars etc when I was in a different location and I had to go and eat by myself and hated it, but I love food too much to let my SA hold me back :) Try bringing a magazine or book or homework or something to occupy yourself at those times. My sister-in-law used to not like eating in public and with my brother's help has since become okay with it.

And finally, I understand what you mean about girls judging the way you look etc because some can be quite catty, remind yourself if you can that they do this to cover their own insecurities and you don't really want to be friends with those who do anyway. I've always been a tomboy, at least I'll be the first to admit that I don't keep up with style and everything doesn't have to look perfect. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that and I'm waaay too lazy to care. :) Expending energy to try and keep up with "The Joneses" (so to speak) is exhausting, expensive and not to mention living for other peoples' praise. As corny as it sounds, I've always lived true to myself and dressed comfortably (but not sloppily, kwim?). Confidence in finding your own style exudes sex appeal anyway :)

Trini

·
Banned
51 Posts
hey!

oh man i know the feeling, after i fell out of my little clique in highschool id sneak out (underclass wasnt allowed to leave for lunch) and drive home to eat lunch for fear of being alone in the cafeteria. i think if you can talk to anyone, it would be people here because weve all had similar experiences :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know what you mean about girls being catty. I'm really afraid of what people think about me when I walk into a room, especially when there's about 30+ people sitting in there. In the same respect, I do not care if girls think that my hair is not as good looking as theirs (sometimes I like to be the frizzy-haired-artsy-type haha!), or if my shoes/purse are not as well coordinated or expensive as theirs. I totally understand the way you think about that. I'm in college as well.

Welcome :]

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Hi Bekah, I'm at college as well. Hope you get the support you need here. Does your college not let you out for lunch? I thought most colleges did this? But anyways:

:wels

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome! I understand how you feel, the preasure of the feeling of being jugded all the time, actually, although I've had friends for go out and so on, I've never trust in anybody because they where so different to me, you know... this kind of people that spread other persons' secrets for gain the confidencer of other one. Finally I got alone, because I was trying to stay away of that kind of people... and all the people close to me... were like that. Something similar happen to me, so you're not alone.

And as somebody said before... they weren't friends at all ;)
Nice to see somebody from Europe in here :D

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts