Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure I really belong here. I am bipolar, so I'm pretty sure any social anxiety I have is a result of severe depression.
I am really just trying to get some tips for coping because now my 4 year old is being tested for autism because he is severely anti-social at school and is terrified of meeting new people and I think it is somewhat my fault for being so anti-social myself.:um
I am not so much anti-social as I am extremely socially awkward and uncomfortable and I say strange things, have a very hard time carrying on any kind of conversation. I don't know how to make small talk so I either don't speak at all (80% of the time) or say things that are totally too much and inappropriate for who I'm speaking with (20% of the time). For these reasons I suffer from agoraphobia that affects my work life a lot. I avoid going out and when I do I stick to the same places every time I go out. Same grocery store, same gas station, same coffee shop, etc. I have a hard time going anywhere by myself because there is pressure there that I might have to speak to someone, so I either send my husband out to fetch things or I make him come with me or I just don't go to get needed items.
When I am at work (I am a court reporter) I am terrified when I am asked to read back bits of testimony and it takes days to get over it. Sometimes I have to take ativan or drink before I can go to work if it is a day I know I will be working with certain attorneys because they make me so nervous to speak to them.

Yeah. That's in a nutshell.

Oh, and I moved to where I live now a year ago and I have not met one single person since I moved here other than the people in my office and I have only spoken to them one time outside of work and that was at a picnic that I went to because it was kind of implied that we HAD to be there and so I went for 20 minutes, then my 4 year old insisted we had to leave because he was terrified and so we left (thank goodness for me).

Sorry for this long post.

I can't even be not awkward when I'm typing. I am unable to be concise also.

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey cornflkgrl welcome. :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, CornflkGirl! :)