Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Dave and I am going to wade into this site to see what it is all about. I am 55 y/o and have been socially anxious for as long as I can remember.

I know that my behavior has handicapped and sabotaged many potentially wonderful relationships during the course of my life, and I also know that most of those are gone forever, which makes me sad when I think about that too much, because life is too short and not guaranteed. I really would like to know what it is like to be an accepted, active member of a social group, but I just can't sustain that, yet. My career has suffered because of my insecurities with interpersonal relationships, and my own abilities. I should have the words "is not working to his potential" tattoo'd on my forehead (in reverse so that I can read them in the mirror).

On the other hand, I really do enjoy the amazing fact that I am alive against all odds, and have the fortunate ability to enjoy some of what it has to offer. I am relatively healthy and fit. I have been happily married w/o kids for almost 26 years to a socially gregarious extrovert who brings untold joy and humor to my life. I have come to savor solitude, but I do get lonely on occasion, but never when I am riding my motorcycle on long trips. I was in the Navy for 6 years and was able to live in Hawaii for 3 years, which was really nice except for the fact that I enjoyed it pretty much alone. I earned a degree in Math and Computer Science during 10 years of night school while working full-time.

That is more that I wanted to say as an intro, but maybe it will lead somewhere.

A round for everyone! Cheers!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Dave :wels

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel Dave. I think we're now up to about three dozen or so Daves on SAS. Does that qualify as a herd? I'm Karl.

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
Hello Dave. I look forward to learning from you and relating to your experiences. :drunk Cheers back at ya!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the nice welcomes everyone! For some of the longtime members, what is the best thing that you have derived from this site?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, SoloRider! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts