Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, spent some time reading a few posts and this seems like a very accepting and friendly place so... why not.
So a bit about myself. I'm a 29 y/o guy from Israel. My weird Hebrew name is Avishay (rhymes with 'shy'. How appropriate). If countries were ppl, then Israel certainly would have some serious SA issues. "Everyone in the world hates us" is a common theme here. Of course, unlike SA ppl who usually just imagine these things, this could actually be true. I just hope no one has a prob with that.
So... as for how SA destroyed my life.
Until recently I was still selling myself the idea of just being a shy person but now I freely admit (to myself) I got SA. I am an engineering grad student, "working" on my M.Sc. title. The quotes are there because I've been working for 3 years on what should last about 2, and no end is in sight. I was a straight A's student back in undergrad but now I'm completely stuck. If anyone here is familiar with the PhD comics, you get the picture... Being a poor student, I still live at home with my parents and 2 younger siblings. Having a twin brother who has lately left home to live with his gf is a major source of stress for me which I willingly take out on him whenever I get the chance. I have had... 1 gf, and that was about 4 years ago. I've had a few friends during my undergrad years but I've been unable to keep in touch with most of them once we graduated. Most of my friends have been girls who I occasionally had a crush on (which is unfortunate because as you can imagine it doesn't lead to romance but rather to ending the friendship). I should be out looking for a job but I'm not, partly because I feel I should see the ending of my thesis first but mostly because I'm a lazy coward. I spend about 99% of my time alone, either at home or at the university, most of it online. I'm awkward, unfriendly, insecure, arrogant, somewhat depressed and selfish, so I'm sure I'll be received with open arms here :)

Well, that came out longer than I planned.
Yours,
Another loser.

PS if there are any Israelis here please step forth. The local SA scene is totally inadequate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Sparks - I'm also a newbie (just signed up today) and also "....awkward, unfriendly, insecure, arrogant, somewhat depressed and selfish" - you're in good company here!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Avishay, welcome to :sas

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Sparks! :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
shalom (I'm not Jewish just thought I'd be welcoming :D )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts