Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone... well, i would just like to introduce myself real quick... i am 23 old college student from germany... i have been living with social phobia for years now, and i have got so fed up with it... so many things i didnt do, so many things i didnt see, just because i was too scared...
i want to come up with a plan now... make a list of things i want to do... like "go to 5 job interviews" just for the sake of proving to myself that i can do it! maybe they will turn out great or maybe they will be really embarrassing... BUT i will try to tell myself that it doesnt matter, because they are just a part of MY self therapy... part of MY experiments, part of MY class work... they are just props in all of this... i am doing this for myself...
well, so i am here because i know that although i am really motivated today, i might lose this motivation tomorrow and ask myself "oh dear, what if the interview will be really embarrassing???"... and then i will need someone to remind me of the fact that they are just props in MY experiment, they are just the means I am using to get better... well, i hope i will find friends here, someone I can motivate and to motivate me, someone I can support and to support me... the job interviews are just one item on the list... what else could i put on it? well, next saturday i am going to join a tennis club at my university, we will see how that works... i am actually just doing this to prove something to myself... so who has time friday to encourage me to really go? lol... well, i would love to hear some of your suggestions for the list... what are your goals? how do you get support and where do you get your motivation from?
well, i hope i expressed myself well, i am not a native speaker of english, so please bear with me! :D Life has been passing me by, and i just wanna start living now!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the post and welcome Serena ^^ I understood you just fine, and your post is giving me hope and motivation for my upcoming interview this saturday *nervous*

I wish you luck at the tennis club and with your goals-list ^^

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Serena :wels

·
Banned
40 Posts
Hi Serena, wonderful post! You have the right attitude and your desire to overcome your anxiety will be a giant motivator in helping you achieve your goals. Remember to always be patient with yourself and dont beat yourself up if you don't meet your goals right away. It's okay to have off days and taking a little time to yourself doesn't mean you start back from the beginning. As I like to often tell people, you cant cut down a tree in one chop, it's consistency, and every swing makes an impact. Even if you miss hitting your mark completely, you get a better idea of where to aim next time.

some ideas for things to add to the list...

pick an instrument, make an intention to learn it, and take lessons
- be in an environment where criticism shapes the learning process in a creative way

Take up photography
- It forces you to keep an open mind, an open eye, and spend time outside

Decide upon a destination just out of your comfort zone and travel, even if that means you are traveling by yourself
- choosing an activity, no matter how random, and doing it for nobody but yourself will build a personal knowledge of your own strengths.

" Do one thing everyday that scares you"
- no matter how big or how small, do it and think nothing of the outcome. If anything, you will add a little flare to everyday ^^

I wish you the best of luck, and am always open for a chat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Serena,

I am also new to this forum and just wanted to say hi to all of you. Serena this is a wonderful post. I really envy you for your attitude. I am definitely of the opinion that you will reach the goals you have targeted. I think it is a good idea to go to the job interviews. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything works out fine.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, Serena1985! :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Serena1985

I never would have known English wasn't your native language
if you hadn't said so. Very impressive.

Your attitude & plan sound great too.
Best of success you can do it. :wel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so, i have the first of five interviews this wednesday... im already horribly scared, and constantly trying to cheer myself up... what could possibly happen to me? i will try to be as relaxed as i can, and should it not go very well, i will still be proud of myself for taking this step...

oh i am taking some adult education classes (just to prove to myself that i am brave enough to go there), and i have gone 8 weeks without saying a word... so last night the teacher asked me something and of course i got the answer wrong... i would always worry and fret for days and days when such things happened, but for some reason, i really didnt take it too seriously yesterday... it felt so good not to worry so much about it... and you know what? all the others got it wrong too... so maybe i am not as dumb as i always think, or maybe its just that nobody can be perfect and nobody expects you to! i still feel rather uncomfortable around all those people who are all older and smarter than me, but hey, even if they did think im dumb, why should i let that affect me? okay, just wanted to get all this off my chest :D

well, i will keep you updated on how the interview goes!

by the way, heres my favorite quote, i say it to myself every day and it kind of keeps me motivated:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. (Mark Twain)

im so glad to have found this forum... not sure whether you guys are interested in my thoughts, but it sure feels really really good to write all these things down and have potential listeners! :D

have a great weekend all of you!

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Serena, you have a great attitude and a wonderful proactive plan! Very brave and positive of you; very inspirational too. I hope your interviews go well. Oh, and make sure not to let those wrong answers or embarrassments get you down! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts