Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It feels dorky almost to introduce myself, like it's a fake group therapy support session or something. But this seems like the right first step for me anyway after joining a community like this.

I've struggled with social anxiety most of my life but it hasn't become so clear until the past few years. My life keeps getting more and more challenging and scary. I know it's the same for everybody else. But it's different because most people make new friends and have hobbies and interests and things that provide them with the promise of a somewhat optimistic future. I feel disconnected from everybody, friends and family included.

I saw a therapist over the summer and even with her...I felt like I couldn't translate the way I felt inside into any language that could make her understand how doomed and hopeless I felt. She helped me clear up all of this surface stuff I was dealing with but I didn't know how to tell her I hadn't even begun to feel freed of my anxiety.

I guess I'm here because I hope I meet people who I can start friendships with from the same place emotionally. Sooo...yep. I'm excited to see where this goes. Ok.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Welcome, kylebasa. All three of you, actually. Can't promise you'll find the help here needed to overcome social anxiety, but it can be a good place to vent, share experiences, offer advice, etc. We're all suffering here, so don't be afraid to post!

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, Kylebasa! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Kyle, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i understand how you feel. what kinds of situations do you go through that make you socially anxious?
Almost all of them. Whenever I talk to anybody I just start to wonder if I'm even cooperating in the conversation. I start to zone out and worry that they think I don't care or that I'm just not very smart. I can go shopping or go to a bar alone and sit down and have a drink, that doesn't make me nervous. It's more during interactions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts