Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bum
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've been diagnosed with clinical depression back in college. I took anti-depressants for some time but didnt liked the effects.

Going to be 23 next month and I feel like **** because of it. People I know who are of my age are living their lives and making friends while I'm stuck at home and unable to hold down a job.

I'm trying to put my act together. I'm reviewing statistics and econometrics recently so that I can enter the job that I think will make me happy.

I created an account here so that I can vent. The only friend I meet regularly has hinted that I'm venting too much and I fear that if things go the way they are now, I will lose her as a friend. I'm thinking of going back into therapy but psychiatrists dont come cheap and although my parents are supportive, they think going to psychiatrist is frivolous.

I will start doing exercises next week. Not a fan of gyms. Will go swimming in the public pool instead and do yoga for peace of mind/relaxation.

I'm pretty much doing my 2012 resolutions early so that I have a buffer of one month :p

So... there.... and hello everyone.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Hi Cityboy. Welcome to SAS!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey cityboy welcome. :hyper

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
Welcome

:D Welcome.
May I ask, why did you stop taking anti-depressants? If they were working? I know that the side effects can really suck but isnt it worth it to be able to function? Or maybe trying a different one that might have less side effects for you? And could you go to a therapist verses a phsycologist?? I find that therapists are cheaper. Just an idea....hope you can get through it :)

Hello. I've been diagnosed with clinical depression back in college. I took anti-depressants for some time but didnt liked the effects.

Going to be 23 next month and I feel like **** because of it. People I know who are of my age are living their lives and making friends while I'm stuck at home and unable to hold down a job.

I'm trying to put my act together. I'm reviewing statistics and econometrics recently so that I can enter the job that I think will make me happy.

I created an account here so that I can vent. The only friend I meet regularly has hinted that I'm venting too much and I fear that if things go the way they are now, I will lose her as a friend. I'm thinking of going back into therapy but psychiatrists dont come cheap and although my parents are supportive, they think going to psychiatrist is frivolous.

I will start doing exercises next week. Not a fan of gyms. Will go swimming in the public pool instead and do yoga for peace of mind/relaxation.

I'm pretty much doing my 2012 resolutions early so that I have a buffer of one month :p

So... there.... and hello everyone.

·
The Beautiful Struggle
197 Posts
Welcome to S.A.S i hope you enjoy your time on here and make plenty of friends, look forward to reading your future post. I wish you the best on your 2012 resolutions.

·
Bum
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Lmatic3030, Jcgrey, Toad Licker, NjoyDfriendZ:

Thanks.

:D Welcome.
May I ask, why did you stop taking anti-depressants? If they were working? I know that the side effects can really suck but isnt it worth it to be able to function? Or maybe trying a different one that might have less side effects for you? And could you go to a therapist verses a phsycologist?? I find that therapists are cheaper. Just an idea....hope you can get through it :)
The one given by the psychiatrist had little side effects. And you're correct, after a few weeks on it, I was able to function normally and the guilt that I frequently experience no longer felt painful (it's like i know it's there but my heart is numb to feel any of the pain). I think I stopped using it because I was afraid of things changing (according to the psychiatrist, my depression probably started back in high school) and also because of my tendency for self-destruction. During that time, the reason I told myself was that I missed the great highs that I experience once in a while.

I'll try to look for a therapist and see how much his/her rate is. Although, I much prefer to go back to the psychiatrist. I have a weird thing for continuity.

Thanks for the suggestion and well wishes. I really hope to get out of this quagmire of self-pity and hate.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, CityBoy! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts