Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Still searching..
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello....Im a male...26...and Ive always felt different from other people. I never fit in and I was always awkward in social situations. Making and keeping friends was always hard for me. I guess I learned it was just easier to close myself off than try and fail time after time.

Nobody knew (and still no one) how painful my everyday existence was through middle and high school. I started being depressed maybe around 6th grade. Around 19-20 I had panic attacks...but I have been able to overcome them.

I went undiagnosed my whole life. Looking back I guess I was pretty good at putting on a face. I actually remember a few times when my dad tried to reach out and ask if I needed help...I said I was fine even though in my head I was screaming yes..

Well...I finally decided to get some help a few months ago. Im taking an ssri for depression and anxiety...and Ive been seeing a therapist too.

I suppose I was hopeful that treatment would "fix" me. I thought it would be like flipping on a light switch...everything would click and be different.

nope...

I am starting to realize that I dont really want to be "better". I am ok with being an introvert....actually I cant even imagine not being an introvert. I have no desire to work towards being what most normal people would consider normal. I do want to be happy though.

So Im kinda at a place where Im accepting these parts of myself that I once thought were broken.

I once thought of myself as weird ..broken ..awkward ..and maybe insane. But now... I feel much better to see myself as unique ..eccentric ..deep and introspective ..and so insane that Im more sane than most.

I have read that with things like social anxiety talking to people that are the same as you can really help. So...I guess Im here in an attempt to reach out to people who might actually understand me.

Sooo.. Hi.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey anonymous soul welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, AnonymousSoul! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.