Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name's Nyro. I'm in my late 20s and have been shy my entire life. One of my earliest memories revolves around SAD. I was with my mother at her friend's house. I had to go to the bathroom, but I was too afraid to say anything. Why I was afraid, I didn't know. All my four year old self knew was that I was embarrassed and afraid to interrupt their conversation. Eventually, I could no longer hold it and peed right where I sat. I was devastated.

Up until I graduated high school, for the most part, I appeared "normal", though I still did things that were not normal, like pretending to pass out in class so that I wouldn't have to give a presentation. Now is that SAD behavior or what?!

But by the time I hit my 20's, it became really bad. I dropped out of college on several occasions and still have not completed my degree. I don't know if I ever will. Something about a college classroom sets off my SAD big time. It's been hard to me to keep a job and there are times where I have gone for years without employment and had to depend upon my parents, which as many of you know, is just humiliating after a certain age.

I've had very few boyfriends but with all the other things that are going on with me and my SAD, that's actually the last thing I'm thinking about.

So anyway, I found this site a few months ago, and it was the first time I'd ever "met" people like me. This forum has given me new hope and comfort that I'm not the only one.

I know I may never get over my SAD, but I still have goals. I hope to have a career I love and a healthy relationship, and to travel and see the world.

One goal that I have accomplished is to stop seeing myself as a "weirdo". We are different. SAD has indeed crippled me in some ways, but it has also made me deeply empathetic, keenly observant, creative, kind-hearted, and appreciative for things that people without SAD take for granted, like romance or jobs or simply being able to laugh at someone's dumb joke just to be polite. So that said, I would never change who I am or change what's going on in my brain. But my goal is simply to not let it take over. I just want some balance.

There are times when SAD has been unbearable for me and I have gone to dark places in how I feel about myself. But I'm making a conscious decision to no longer let the dark days outnumber the bright ones.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Nyro, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, Nyrolabelle! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
6 Posts
but it has also made me deeply empathetic, keenly observant, creative, kind-hearted, and appreciative for things that people without SAD take for granted, like romance or jobs or simply being able to laugh at someone's dumb joke just to be polite.
I'm new here to and I relate so much! I constantly feel like people without SA can't grasp certain subtle things. Welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

I'm new here to and I relate so much! I constantly feel like people without SA can't grasp certain subtle things. Welcome to the forum! :D
I do pick up on things that other people don't. I can always tell what a person is thinking, especially when they are embarrassed or upset about something and are trying perk up so as not to make others uncomfortable. Other people are totally oblivious to this kind of thing because they're so caught up in themselves. I guess that when your self-esteem has been shattered over and over, you take your focus off of yourself and instinctively start to concentrate on how others feel. It's both a bad and good thing.

I'm convinced that all the great artists had social anxiety. There's no way a person who's totally comfortable in their own skin and in the world could possibly have the kind of tenderness in their hearts and minds to create that kind of beauty.

So while social anxiety limits us in some ways, it really has intensified certain innate qualities, such as the ability of empathy, in me. I guess it's sort of like a person who loses their sight and then their other senses are intensified.

I wonder all the time if other people feel this way and it's good to know that you do.

·
Dan Dreamin
47 Posts
Hi welcome, great intro can relate to alot of what u said, i quess we are all similar in our thought process and how we cope by doing some wierd stuff sometimes haha, good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts