Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to the site and I'd rather keep my name on the down low since its a very unique first name and people would likely know who I am. If you need something to call me, John will work just fine. I'm 24, live in southeast USA and have very severe social anxiety, especially when trying to communicate with women my age. I was raised to be mistrustful of doctors and the medical establishment so I need some advice from patient people who have been through similar things and understand my fear of medications and adamant refusal to use it except as a last resort. However, I feel like my anxiety is so severe it probably warrants medication or at least therapy. It would be completely fair to say (maybe even a conservative statement) that my life has been completely and utterly ruined by my social anxiety and the depression that results from it. Not only has it made just about every aspect of my life more difficult and life in general miserable, but because I am of supposedly above average intelligence I feel like people I approach for help have made me feel guilty intentionally by insinuating that everything in life should be easier if you're a little smarter. This is especially true in the case of my father, who basically doesn't believe in mental illness, medications, any type of doctor who studies and treats the mind, and basically thinks the entire medical establishment is some kind of conspiracy to take your money. Anyway, not sure where to cut this off so I'll just stop the intro here. I'm looking forward to finally having some understanding people to talk to. Maybe some of you can relate to my story. :)

Thanks for your time,

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey John :)

I'm new here too. I can relate to the part about being a little skeptical about doctors and medications for mental illness. I'm really stubborn about taking medication for something like depression (which is what my doctor diagnosed me with). I'm scared of what the medication will due to me. I'm scared it will damage my brain. But I'm more scared that the doctor doesn't know what he's doing. I've known psychiatrists who just seem too unconcerned about their patients and just write a prescription to get them out of the office. Welcome to SAS :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
:wels John. You've come to the right place.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey John, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, NobodyCanKnowMe! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts