Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Hi. My name is Lisa and I have SAD

972 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  millenniumman75 
#1 ·
how funny how the initials for SAD reads sad.That's how I feel. sad.
I'm lisa, 45, married with grown kids and now have grand kids. I used to have panic attacks in my mid 20s and now I have social anxiety. My panic comes when I travel and not knowing where the bathroom is. I hate living this way and it's making me depressed.

#2 ·
I can relate.
Except I'm not 45, with kids.
I just panic when I have to be in a public place, or even at home, alone because I'm afraid something's going to happen to me and I'm unable to leave because I don't drive.
I'd like to think things will be easier for me once I drive.

#4 ·
Ohhh...
I don't drive because I'm not of age.
The thought scares me,
but it should make me feel more secure since it's one more thing that's certain.
If you drive, and something happens, you can just take off.
Not to say that's the best way of handling things...
But, otherwise, there's no way to escape certain things.

Did you drive before and just stop?
or you've never driven?

#5 ·
i agree, i am 30 now but when i was at school i developed this fear of smelling of body odour, strange i know!.to the point where it made me sweat and i could feel my arm pits dripping!!exspecially when sat around people such as a class room. i remeber i went see a hypno - therapist at the time, i remeber thinking during the sessions "this isnt working, im still perfectly conscious" but after a time they did seem to stop....but then i developed general SAD and am still working through it with selp help books and thought records!!

#6 ·
Yeah, when I'm at school, my chest tightens up & I feel like I can't breathe. I tend to be really germaphobic, and a lot of the girls in my classes smoke. I can smell it on them, and I can tell by the way they cough. And these girls cough a lot. So when this happens, I feel like I'm trapped in a closet so to say. Because I cover my mouth with my hand and breathe in really deep, as though theres oxygen coming through my skin, that doesn't have the gross germs in it. I know that's probably not true & is probably really, really weird.
But it happens.

I've tried self-help. I've also tried a few medicines.
Cymbalta I took for despression. Awful...I had the worst of all side-effects. My pupils were dilated past my iris.
Zoloft I took for the same reason. Didn't do much.
Both made me gain a cr*pload of weight.
Got on adderall for ADD, lost the weight, focus better.
But the anxiety is worse.

Now I'm still on Adderall, but I'm taking 5-HTP & L-Tyrosine along with it.
I started a few days ago, so I don't know whether or not it works yet.

#9 ·
Hey Lisa, welcome to :sas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.