Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys 馃憢

I've been dealing with social anxiety since I was 13. Recently, I've been interviewing for new jobs and it has become a big hurdle for me. I'm fed up with avoiding social events for this irrational fear. I'm hoping to practice my social skills and put myself out there so I can get better. If anyone else out there is interested in having a pen-pal / practice person, shoot me a message! It'd be cool to do this with someone else who's going through the same thing.
I love cooking, cycling, gardening, coding, art/design, and bedroom pop music. Send me a recipe, a playlist, whatever.

-Ali

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my anxiety isn't social based but I am agoraphobic and suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I would be glad to help out
Hi Yulp,
Thanks for replying to this post. I've not heard of agoraphobia before, I'd like to hear more if you're willing to share. I'll send you a message.
Thanks, Ali

NewGlory
Hey welcome to the site :) I'm also suffering from Social anxiety as well as AVP or avoidant personality disorder, and have been since I was a kid. For interviews, I learned the secret key to getting hired is practicing and having certain answers already in your head (like when they ask what your biggest weakness is). They don't necessarily care about the answer, but rather how you answer it, so if you have an empty head or haven't practiced, you'll stumble way more.
Anyways, as for the pen pal idea, I don't think its safe to give out addresses over the internet, do you have a P.O. box you're going to use? And would you be willing to just send private messages back and forth, like how I've done with the few people I've talked to on here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey welcome to the site :) I'm also suffering from Social anxiety as well as AVP or avoidant personality disorder, and have been since I was a kid. For interviews, I learned the secret key to getting hired is practicing and having certain answers already in your head (like when they ask what your biggest weakness is). They don't necessarily care about the answer, but rather how you answer it, so if you have an empty head or haven't practiced, you'll stumble way more.
Anyways, as for the pen pal idea, I don't think its safe to give out addresses over the internet, do you have a P.O. box you're going to use? And would you be willing to just send private messages back and forth, like how I've done with the few people I've talked to on here.
Yeah I should clarify that I don't mean literally snail mail penpals but just continuously chit-chat :).
I practiced the "tell me about yourself" question probably fifty times over and you're absolutely right, it's very helpful. I've also been using the Speeko app to practice impromptu questions so I can get feedback. I tried joining a toastmaster group for shy people but that was super intense. Anything to feel more confident when speaking...
Out of curiosity, do you have problems with texting or calling people back? I'm curious if this is common with people who have SAS or even AVP.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@alifb8 Sorry for going off topic but what is bedroom pop music?

oh and good luck on your job hunt, wish I had the same courage you have!
I think it could be described as indie pop... it's popular among the gen z.
Artists like the wallows, clairo, rex orange county.
Sunflower - rex orange county, is a good example and a personal favorite 鉂

Registered
I think it could be described as indie pop... it's popular among the gen z.
Artists like the wallows, clairo, rex orange county.
Sunflower - rex orange county, is a good example and a personal favorite 鉂
Alright, never heard of those bands, might give them a try if I remember it come tomorrow鈥
I kind of feel inclined to give back a recommendation now so here you go:

a truly wonderful moving soundtrack from a truly wonderful moving film

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, never heard of those bands, might give them a try if I remember it come tomorrow鈥
I kind of feel inclined to give back a recommendation now so here you go:

a truly wonderful moving soundtrack from a truly wonderful moving film
This movie looks like a tear-jerker. I'm adding it to my movie list.

Registered
I would like to learn more about this 'bedroom gen-z music'. So tired of hip hop and top 40 from the past 5 years. I also need more conversation partners to practice 'making friends.' So you can message anytime. Hi Yulp.

Super Moderator
I guess this makes sense. 馃槄

Bedroom Pop.

"A new DIY genre called Bedroom Pop which incorporates lo-fi (low quality) hip hop beats and vocal recordings, is quickly gaining popularity. Bedroom Pop is named after the DIY aspect of the genre 鈥 this is music you can make in your bedroom!
Most Bedroom Pop artists at least began recording and producing their music themselves in bedrooms, kitchens, or even bathrooms, thus giving their music that natural, unmastered quality that can only be found in the genre. Listed below are five tracks from five artists who, in my opinion, should be credited for the creation and development of this DIY genre. Give their tracks a listen and let me know what you think about Bedroom Pop!"

Registered
Yeah I should clarify that I don't mean literally snail mail penpals but just continuously chit-chat :).
I practiced the "tell me about yourself" question probably fifty times over and you're absolutely right, it's very helpful. I've also been using the Speeko app to practice impromptu questions so I can get feedback. I tried joining a toastmaster group for shy people but that was super intense. Anything to feel more confident when speaking...
Out of curiosity, do you have problems with texting or calling people back? I'm curious if this is common with people who have SAS or even AVP.
I always wanted to try Toastmasters, but its not offered in my area unfortunately. I have problems with any forms of communication lol, but since I've been working call center type jobs, I'm fine with phone calls (as long as they're not customers). As for texting, I love it. I love reading what people have to say, rather than worrying about missing something they said, so I 100% prefer text.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts